register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-12-2016, 04:21 PM
I notice that the coats of all these dogs that 'go in the bath' are nothing like a Utonagan coat, which is very thick, has a double undercoat (even the shorter haired ones like Lona and Mabs) and quite honestly it is difficult to saturate the coat enough to get the dog wet enough to work up a lather with the shampoo. Mine can come out of the river when they've been swimming, shake themselves and they are bone dry underneath the top coat which is virtually waterproof. The best way of bathing them (if you must) is outside, I use a childs paddling pool, or did when I showed. I don't bath them at all now, they have regular swims when the river level allows, I have had them in there where they have literally broken the ice, and they never blinked either. The coat is an excellent insulator, I have had my dogs asleep under a blanket of snow before now and they emerged, shaking themselves wondering why I was in headless chicken mode looking for them
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2016, 07:27 PM
Hi all. It is so frustrating not having a tablet. Hopefully I will have it by tomorrow but I will have to wait then for my daughter to do things with it as I haven't a clue how to get it up and running. Once it is I can do things and not worry about mucking it up. Yeh I bet your all thinking what a twit not knowing but some of us just haven't got a clue. Give me a dog to train and yep but a machine nope. June have we heard yet what your news is? I will have to look in tomorrow on dogsey to see the answer as off now. Hope everyone is keeping in fine fettle. ttfn.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-12-2016, 08:19 PM
No its not officially Out There yet, as soon as I can i will tell you, because I can barely wait myself
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2016, 09:32 PM
Evening all

Hope all of you are well.

Just finished writing the christmas cards to be posted.

Really tired not sure why I think going back to work for one night....has confused my system.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2016, 09:39 PM
Brenda, hope your tablet arrives soon and you are all set up and ready to go
TW, my old staff diez was an odd one, she had a double layer coat and it used to take forever to get her dry, we tried a hair drier once and gave up Lol
Kazz, hope you manage to get some sleep.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-12-2016, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Really do not know how they lived here they must of known they were in and out of the house and not done anything about it.
Originally Posted by griff View Post
people amaze me at how they know there is an issue but will not deal with it, why ignore it...especially a rat issue, they do so much damage
It does amaze me also, our neighbour was having a coffee with the previous owner here and she could hear the patter of feet running across the ceiling in the loft, neighbour mentioned it but previous owner just ignored it, said she couldn't hear it

As you say rats are really bad, you could get Rentokill in or you could buy a few traps, or even poison which is cheap. Block the entry holes (As you did Lynn) the important thing is DO SOMETHING don't just ignore it
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-12-2016, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
The coat is an excellent insulator, I have had my dogs asleep under a blanket of snow before now and they emerged, shaking themselves wondering why I was in headless chicken mode looking for them
Yes Newfies are the same. You've seen that photo of Baruska in the snow, she was out in temperatures of minus 20C sometimes and quite happy.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-12-2016, 11:02 PM
LOL Griff, then you will know its not just a case of a quick rub down with a towel, and getting a 40 odd kilo dog into the bath when it doesn't want to, keeping it in, bathing it, and then getting it outside to shake, well I only did it once and I was laid up for a week
Outside is easier believe me
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2016, 11:42 PM
My theory is that once rats are in a property they breed and spread to neighbouring properties...therefore it is your responsibility to deal with any problem you may have, I don't mind anything living outside but comes into my house and that's it lol
Yep TW....when a dog isn't keen on the bath not good, Laney was 30kg and he was a bit of a nightmare, he used to spread his legs and you would just think all were in and like a spider more appeared lol
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-12-2016, 11:53 PM
Yep and all 4 legs fully and stiffly extended so you couldn't get them in. Whilst outside, or with a paddling pool you don't have that problem, just hang on for grim death, do several laps of the yard, shut your ears to the screaming and carry on and grit your teeth
Yeah Harvey, I was thinking of Baruska when I wrote that bit
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3