Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
But then it would be a static caravan, not a touring one...
We have a six berth touring caravan, and have found nice sites, and kept it on there just for the six months a year.

It gives you the opportunity to visit more places rather than having to move a massive static with a hell of a lot more cost!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-05-2012, 05:36 PM
actually I really wanted a Winnebago [well a girl can dream...]
A Winnebago anywhere in Europe (Or even where you are now) is a disaster, believe me I have met a few people with them and when pushed they have all admitted they are just the wrong size for European roads

Even most of the European motor homes are too wide, that's why I opted for a van conversion, if 'white van man' can get there so can I
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
A Winnebago anywhere in Europe (Or even where you are now) is a disaster, believe me I have met a few people with them and when pushed they have all admitted they are just the wrong size for European roads

Even most of the European motor homes are too wide, that's why I opted for a van conversion, if 'white van man' can get there so can I
Oh I know, but when I was camping with four kids [two mine, two "borrowed"] and five tents, I used to dream of just pulling up on site and not having to unload my van and start erecting tents...

[The piccie I posted is a mini mini mini caravan which can be towed by a mobility scooter!]
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2012, 07:10 PM
We bought an old but classic! camper van last year and we love it. We've had caravans before but decided on a camper van this time - the dogs love it too.
Other than that would like a tandem but think maybe that bird has flown...........
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-05-2012, 07:56 PM
[The piccie I posted is a mini mini mini caravan which can be towed by a mobility scooter!]
I've never seen one like that before but I can see why you are interested
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2012, 11:03 AM
We had a brand new Winnebago behind our caravan at a show last year, did we feel shabby! The owner, who had half a dozen bedlingtons dozing in the window, was a really lovely man and helped us put our awning up. He was telling us what it was like to drive, I wouldn't fancy it myself, he told us you need an HGV licence to drive one and when they are overtaking a lorry, or vice versa, sometimes they have to be careful not to clip the mirrors!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

07-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
sometimes they have to be careful not to clip the mirrors!
That's too close for comfort for me plus I've never had an HGV licence and they take it away when you get to retirement age (Or so I've been told)
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
That's too close for comfort for me plus I've never had an HGV licence and they take it away when you get to retirement age (Or so I've been told)
Not to mention having to sell the house to buy one in the first place!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2012, 05:56 PM
id love a caravan or motorhome, and i love camping so no you arent strange

im contemplating getting a motor home instead of a house then i can just cruise around in it going wherever i fancy
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

15-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
im contemplating getting a motor home instead of a house then i can just cruise around in it going wherever i fancy
You would not be alone, in the motorhome world these people are known as 'full timmers' and definately not to be confused with those who we have to refer to as 'travellers'

The usual CC site that I stay on when in England has a lovely couple who are 'full timers' their MH is hidden away behind the site and there are hundreds if not thousands who roam around Spain and Portugal all year long.

Sadly the UK local authorities are not nearly as friendly as the ones in Germany and France where you can park up for days and pay nothing, in UK it's almost impossible to 'wild camp' now and as mentioned above it's usually around £8 to £10 per night minimum on a CC (CL) site and a lot more on the official CC sites..
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4