Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2008, 06:57 AM

Update....

Thought I should update on what's been happening here.
I have been finding it very hard to juggle motherhood,work,a year old FCR, a poorly/aging 12 and a half year old cross breed and a pup with specific training requirements. There are not enough hours in my days....
I realised about 2 weeks ago life was not how I wanted it to be. My son ended up in casualty one weekend with a splinter under his finger and we went for lunch whilst an LA worked...it dawned on me then that I hadn't spent any decent length of time just being with him since the pup arrived. At the same time a wonderful, kind member on here PM'd asking if I was ok as I didn't seem to be myself. I shouldn't have been surprised as she is a very wise and kind lady, but I was surprised that the way I was feeling was becoming obvious,even on here.
Suffice to say,after much chatting and soul searching we have decided we just haven't got the time to commit to the pup and he leaves to go to other walkers tomorrow.

I do feel awful, but at least we tried. I know he will be very much loved where he is going and that he will settle in no time. I do however, feel it is for the best as I feel like a weight has been lifted since the decision was made. If he was a pet, it would be different,but he isn't, he has specific needs which we feel we can't meet, so in fairness to him, it is best we let him go.

On a happier note our last pup just qualified...ensuring our 100% success rate was maintained!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2008, 07:06 AM
I think you have to listen to your instincts. Your's have obviously told you that your not able to continue and I think you have made a wise choice.
With our last Foster son I too, made the same decision, as heartbreaking as it is, and for what reasons, I think it is big of anyone to admitt when it's not working for them. Well done. Well done to the one that has made the grade too.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-11-2008, 07:31 AM
Well done Ailsa, it is not a failure as your last results show, but you have been wise enough to see at the moment the pup will not get what he needs.
Like you say if he was a pet it would be hard work but different and the level of training could suit you, and also your Family and your dogs have to come first.
Glad to hear you are already feeling you have done the right thing and I am sure pup will be fine.
(((hugs))) I know it wasn't an easy decision for you.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2008, 07:39 AM
Definitely not a failure in my book, honey.

You made absolutely the right decision, and there's not one person here who knows you will think any differently.

The pup is young, will be totally happy with other walkers, and you can devote some more time in the directions you feel need it.

If you were closer, I'd give you a big squishy hug, but as I'm not you'll have to imagine one..... go on, it's coming.......can you feel it?

x0x0x
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2008, 08:17 AM
I agree with the others.

A very hard decision to make, but it has to be the right one when you were feeling like you have been. I have no doubt that you, your son and Cosmo will love the extra time you will be able to spend together.

Very well done on big pup qualifying
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Definitely not a failure...

I think it's a brave thing to do, as you were so torn about it, but you have done what is best for everyone concerned (son and dogs!)

I'm sure that Lucas will settle into wherever he is placed (and probably cause mayhem there too!)

Big hugs and Boxer licks on their way to you!
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-11-2008, 11:11 AM
Don't feel bad, its only because you want to do your best , you should think of all the times you have made a real difference, and as someone who has a blind mother who used to have a guide dog,I really know how her life was changed, and its all down to people like you.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Thanks so much everyone, for all the hugs and support. It hasn't been an easy decision and it has been one we have been pondering for a while. It is the right decision,both for us and Lucas though, not that that will make him going any easier....
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Sorry you have been having such a hard time of it recently, Ailsa, and I think you have made the right decision for both Lucas and for yourself, your son and your other dogs. You aren't a failure at all.

I am sure Lucas will settle in with his new walkers without any trouble at all, and it will hopefully give you a lot more time to spend with your family and pet dogs.

Well done on the big pup qualifying - you must be so proud

Big hugs to you all, as I know it will break your heart to see Lucas go.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Hugs Ailsa. A tough decision but one that is for the best.
xxx
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >