Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2008, 04:57 PM

Warming food In the Microwave

Does anyone know if it is harmful to just take the chill off dog food from the fridge in the microwave.
I store Milos open nature diet in the fridge and hate to feed it chilled with his sensitive tum, so is it ok to pop it in the microwave for a few seconds?
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2008, 05:59 PM
I shouldn't think so . Isn't dog ( or cat) food supposed to be fed at room temperature anyway ? The alternative to heating it in the microwave , which is quick , is to leave the food standing out of the fridge long enough for it to come to room temperature. Obviously that takes longer so therefore gives more time for bacteria to multiply on the food. Missy has Burns or JWB dry food with a little minced chicken . I buy the chicken mince from P@H , already frozen. As she only gets a small amount of mince , I put some gluten free gravy powder , herbs and garlic powder into a bowl. Mix with a little water. Add about 5g of the frozen mince. Give it a stir and add a little more water. It then goes in the microwave at 750 for 4 minutes. Onced cooled , I then mix in her ration of biscuits and she thoroughly enjoys her meal with warm gravy instead of choking on dry biscuits. Hope this helps.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2008, 06:16 PM
It should be fine Its also recommended for tinned cat food if a cat has low appetite as it is supposed to make it more palatable and increases the scent
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2008, 06:22 PM
My Jaq usually will only eat moist cat food if I zap it first !

Reg would eat it if it was frozen !
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-01-2008, 07:43 PM
I'm adding a spoonful of Butchers Tripe Mix to Rory's James Wellbeloved, because I keep the open tin in the fridge. I wouldn't like to give it to him chilled.

I only give it 15 seconds in the microwave.

Dawn R.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks. I will continue to do it then. I was just having one of my worry mummy moments when it dawned on me that perhaps the micro waves could be harmful
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2008, 09:44 AM
The only concern would be hot spots in the food. Microwaves can heat stuff unevenly so some bits can get quite hot whilst others are cool.

If you are only zapping it for a few seconds, I wouldn't think this would be an issue. Just give it a good stir before serving.
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2008, 09:47 AM
I do this to take the chill off the girls defrosted meats, I've never had any problems
Helly
New Member!
Female 

06-02-2008, 05:07 PM
On the Nature Diet packet it says feed cold or pop in the microwave for 1 minute to heat.

If they advise it, it should be fine.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-02-2008, 06:07 PM
The TZBCs get supermarket bargain mince, which we buy a week's worth at a time and freeze. It thaws at room temperature, but to be certain, we microwave it very briefly before serving it. They seem to like the sensation of "freshly killed" temperature for their raw meat!

Snorri