Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessi Clark
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 09:30 PM

Vet's given us Hills ID food

Both the boys tums have been off since Friday and they don't seem to have improved all that much so we all went down to vets today and they've given them Hills ID prescription diet food to help just for a while. Now since we changed to orijen and I've been adding some wet food to Chester's dry kibble I've been so careful about what the pair of them eat, out went the processed treats and rubbish and now they only have natural treats and chews. The vets gave us a bag of dry food for Griffin and about a dozen cans of wet for his fussy big brother but they've said I need to aim to give him four cans a day , there's no way I can get all that into an already fussy eater, he ate about 3/4 of a can this evening but I just don't see him willingly eating two cans of any food in one go. I also can't see an ingredients list on the food, can anyone enlighten me? Is there an alternative to it, the cans smell pretty bad and don't seem to have any real texture to it, just a thick mousse. Thanks for any help you can give!!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 10:10 PM
From the Hills site
Ingredients
Water, Egg Product, Turkey, Rice, Ground Whole Grain Corn, Pork Liver, Soy Fiber, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Iodized Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Taurine, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Riboflavin, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid.

Protein 25.0
Fat 14.9
Carbohydrate (NFE) 53.0
Crude Fiber 1.0
Total Dietary Fiber 3.7
Soluble Fiber 0.3
Insoluble Fiber 3.4

Calcium 0.95
Phosphorus 0.78
Sodium 0.44
Potassium 0.95
Magnesium 0.098
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 10:35 PM
are your dogs keeping water down and drinking enough?

..as the only real added benefits between this and overcooked chicken and rice is electrolytes.

you want to slightly underfeeding little and often,as long as things are improving.

have you starved for 24hours too?

eta.. i prefer mashed tatties
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
eta.. i prefer mashed tatties
Mashed tatties or even Readybrek made up with water, no milk.

Looks like your vet has got you signed up to a lucrative feeding regime for the next week or so. Ever wondered how poorly dogs managed before Hills was invented....?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 10:46 PM
I/D is an excellent foo. it is very bland, aids digestion & very gentle through the gut.

Feed your boy 3/4 tin 4 times a day. If he appears hungry before bedtime offer some more. However if he does not want it, remember each dog is different & not a text book case.

By feeding frequently & little it gives the digestion little to work on at any given time & allows the healing process to take place.

Hope they feel better soon

Dogs with sensitive digestions do better on the "little & often" diet regime
Jessi Clark
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 08:23 AM
Well they've had Hills last night and it's made it so much worse for the pair of them, was up til 1:30 with them then someone up again at half four and in that time we had 3 accidents which hasn't happened since they've been off-colour and then between half 5 and half 7 I've had four more to clean up, even with the diarrohea they've had they've both always been in control of it, no accidents bar once late last week that was my fault for not hearing Chester ask to go out. Before Hills was invented all our other dogs have had scrambled egg which is what these two have been having since friday along with some pasta when they have been ill, I'm definitely going to take all your info on board before I give them any more of this Hills food.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-01-2011, 08:39 AM
When Ollie reacted to the rymadil recently he was bad he was passing blood in the end he went straight onto steamed fish or chicken with over cooked rice or mashed potatoes.

That was advised by the vet he is under.

Must admit that is immediately the route I go down if he has a bad tum. I would only go to the vet if it didn't clear up with 24 hour starvation or the chicken/fish/rice or potatoes didn't help. I hope they feel better soon.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 08:48 AM
None of my dogs would touch it. Let`s face it - it`s simply poultry and rice with a few additives and a lot of water.
You can make it yourself by boiling chicken & rice up and adding a tiny pinch of salt and sugar.
Personally I have them skip a meal or two and then re-introduce something I know they aren`t sensitive to.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Sounds like a tummy bug to me. Changing food just on its own won't help.

Sometimes we have AB's, sometimes an anti sick jab, sometimes we use the diural paste or similar. Always starve for 24 hours.

I'd get a second opinion.

rune
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 09:28 AM
I doubt it was the i/d, it may have happened anyway. Perhaps the vet visit stressed them further, if unhappy take the food back, even the opened bag of dry food. Hills operate a no quibble take back on all their food.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >