View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2011, 09:26 PM
I ordered a xl for my gsd and medium for my terrier. I was pleased with the medium but i wouldn't call the xl an xl and it certainly wouldn't be big enough for a giant breed. any one got any pics of xl ones. I've just tried to upload one but i can't see any of my pics on photobucket
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2011, 09:34 PM

This is my XL, it's about 6 inches long, so not all that big. It seems to vary quite a lot what people receive, if it's thinner it's longer, thicker ones seem to be shorter.

Btw I soaked Cain's antler in beef stock all day and it renewed interest a little bit so might be worth a try for those of you who's dogs are ignoring them.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2011, 07:25 AM
Ive got a whole load of XL, & really should be called Xthick.

they are sorted by weight, & they are heavier than the large & THICKER
I was expecting "larger"
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-02-2011, 08:31 AM
Yes I have read somewhere else that the sizes are based on weight/density so the XL ones are harder to get through
Dilkara
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-02-2011, 01:59 PM
I bought one of these for Ludo and one for my parents dog Penny. Neither have touched them.
Penny had a lot of sniffing interest but has since ignored it and Ludo did carry his off, but to be fair he's got an upset tum at the moment.

Will have to try some of the suggestions for getting them interested.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2011, 02:11 PM
We have had a few dogs who have go into it once they have been started by another dog
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Well mine could either take it or leave it, actually had a free sample as we were considering selling them
Usually we have WW3 but this time they took it in turns.
Wont be spending money on stock dont think there particularily good value for money.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Ive got a whole load of XL, & really should be called Xthick.

they are sorted by weight, & they are heavier than the large & THICKER
I was expecting "larger"
Not necessarily - I ordered two larges and two XLs (actually, I ordered 1 large and 1 medium but got sent 2 large instead!) - I got a thinner, longer large (which went off to my mum's pup as she's only little and was meant to get the medium!), a chunky large, a long, thin XL which was visibly bigger than the large, and a chunky XL which was about the same length as the large but with an extra branch. So they're not necessarily shorter and thicker - depends entirely on what part of the horn they use, the long XL was obviously a bit nearer to the end of the horn whereas the chunky large was the bit right from the base.
I do wish there was a bit more of a standard sizing, but it's a natural product so not really something they could specifically aim for! "Oh, hello deer, could you please grow your antlers long and thin instead of short and chunky please?" I imagine if they decided to split them into "XL thick, XL thin" then there'd be lots of demand for the longer pieces and they'd be stuck with lots of short chunky bits, so it's likely they decided to do it by weight to prevent them getting lumbered with lots of unwanted stock.

On the subject of the antlers though - I soaked them in water for a few hours Saturday, as they've been totally ignored lately, not even a brief chew, and yesterday I was amazed - they both laid down and gnawed off a good couple of inches off each! So definately worth soaking if the dog doesn't show/loses interest. I just did it in plain, lukewarm water, I'd contemplated stock but wasn't sure if it would make the antlers go "off" after a few days (I leave them down for my two though, but will have to take them up if they keep up this level of interest so they don't get left unattended with the last little bit of it!)
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:49 PM
That's good Karly, the soaking thing seems to have worked here too. He's chewed it twice today after ignoring it for weeks, he's just spent about 20 mins chewing it. He's not making much progress though! I think he finds it very hard to chew and gets tired, I think we have a very dense one and a thinner, longer be would probably suit Cain better.
Munsti-Sue
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Usually have quite a few antlers knocking around the house. All the dogs chew them on and off throughout the day. They all seem to want the fallow buck antlers as they can knaw them down easily. The roe buck antlers last a lot longer as they break down at a slower rate.
Page 11 of 14 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 >