View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kydandco
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-01-2008, 01:50 PM
My dogs have all been brought up on tripe (had dogs for over 30 years), they love it. My girl at the moment is a very uncharacteristic fussy eating labrador. Most things went straight through her, but the good old raw tripe is fine! I buy frozen easy-pour minced tripe in huge bags from Jolley's pet shop (not sure if I should give the shop name??) Take out what I need just before her feed time, as it's minced it defrosts quickly, no smell, no fuss and doesn't touch the sides as she woofs it down!! Everything else takes her an age to eat!!
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2008, 05:43 PM
I just gave Missy tripe for the first time today. YEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUCCCCCHHHH ! . It was one of the frozen blocks from P@H. I took it out of the freezer yesterday to defrost. Then today , I made the awful mistake of cooking it ! :smt078I did it in the microwave for 6 minutes and the stink was almost unbearable. I had to open the window AND put the extractor fan on. Missy was wandering around sniffing the air and licking her nose . I let her out in the garden as usual just before I feed her. Well , have you ever seen a Staffie run as fast as a greyhound ? After she pee'd , she bolted into the house , negotiating turns and stairs with skill , and stood in the kitchen waiting for me to put her bowl down . Wee soul was all excited , trembling and her eyes all wide and glassy . She absolutely loved it ! Bowl licked clean in record time and Missy looking for more. If it agrees with her , that is no rash or itching , I'll buy it occasionally for her. But next time , she can have it raw ! I didn't find this thread until after I cooked the disgusting stuff .
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by Missysmum View Post
I just gave Missy tripe for the first time today. YEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUCCCCCHHHH ! . It was one of the frozen blocks from P@H. I took it out of the freezer yesterday to defrost. Then today , I made the awful mistake of cooking it ! :smt078I did it in the microwave for 6 minutes and the stink was almost unbearable. I had to open the window AND put the extractor fan on. Missy was wandering around sniffing the air and licking her nose . I let her out in the garden as usual just before I feed her. Well , have you ever seen a Staffie run as fast as a greyhound ? After she pee'd , she bolted into the house , negotiating turns and stairs with skill , and stood in the kitchen waiting for me to put her bowl down . Wee soul was all excited , trembling and her eyes all wide and glassy . She absolutely loved it ! Bowl licked clean in record time and Missy looking for more. If it agrees with her , that is no rash or itching , I'll buy it occasionally for her. But next time , she can have it raw ! I didn't find this thread until after I cooked the disgusting stuff .
lol been there done that it stinks doesn't it? we cooked it when In laws were here, great way to get rid of them early

Mel x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2008, 05:49 PM
LMAO at that picture you just painted me there of little Missy!!!!! I take it she liked it then????!!!

I must admit, I;ve never tried this on any of my dogs, but I do have a pack of frozen in the freezer as a trial, so I'll be giving it to mine in the morning for breakfast, that'll be interesting then!
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2008, 06:47 PM
:smt042:smt042:smt042:smt044:smt044:smt044:smt043: smt043 :smt043She certainly liked it. I just need to keep an eye on her for a few hours to make sure she doesn't break out in a rash or anything. She's sleeping contentedly beside the fire right now , probably dreaming about that delicious (:smt07 tripe. . NEVER AGAIN will I cook the blasted stuff though !
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Question: how do I cook tripe?

Answer: You don't! Ever!!!
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2008, 07:13 PM
I'll second that ! It makes your house smell like the contents of a muck spreader :smt078. I just learned the hard way .
RudeDog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Been feeding Natty on green tripe with mixer since he was 7 weeks. He loves it. I just add a bit of boiling water to take the chill off it as I keep it in the fridge. I think the tripe comes from an abattoir to the pet shop, big lumps of undigested grass in it. Only costs 25p for 400 grams & I get two meals out of that.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by Missysmum View Post
NEVER AGAIN will I cook the blasted stuff though !
I think people only ever make this mistake once

Ours love tripe, though they normally get it frozen
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Just out of interest, if a dog is not normally fed raw is it ok to give them raw tripe? I've seen a couple of threads saying that you must never give cooked and raw at the same time as they are digested differently (I think that was the reason). Max is fed complete but does get cooked chicken, beef and fish etc for some meals so I am just wondering how that would effect him?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >