Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 08:23 AM

Anybody got a Nissan Almera?

It's time to say good bye to my little Nissan Micra. I would like a car where I could set the boot up properly without folding down the back seats, but also don't want to drive anything too big.

Looking on Gumtree and found a few Nissan Almeras, which look like the boot might be big enough. I remember driving one of these, in fact I passed my test in one so think I'd be ok driving it.

Anyone got one? What's your boot set up like? Could you fit a big dog in it?
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 08:50 AM
From what I recall from my step-father test driving them when he was looking for a new car the boot (and insides in general) were fairly roomy... in the end a temporary supplier blip meant he went for something bigger - but it was very high on his list of contenders. Actually on second thoughts, I think a friend's car is one - and he fits one very very very fat labrador and one slightly less fat labrador in his comfortably (labradors = the new unit of car boot measurement).

As for driving "big" cars - you get used to it really quickly anyway - I had to swap from my little beloved Saxo to a whacking great big Astra Estate (joys of having a 6 foot 7 hubby - gah) and after about a day of "wooahh this is biiiig" you really don't notice the size - unless it's when you're reversing into parking spaces and spotting lines of men stood there obviously thinking "no way is that woman going to get that big car in there" - which always makes me feel smug when I manage it... and I'm not a confident driver naturally! If anything I find the big estate car easier to park than our now departed Micra - mainly cos the Micra had no power steering.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 08:55 AM
LMAO @ labradors I've only been driving just over a year so another reason I don't want a car that's too big is I'm trying to keep my insurance down....that and I'm a horrific parker I'm hoping that might change when I ditch the Micra, power steering is very high on my list of priorities this time!

Thanks, that was really helpful info worse comes to worse, I'll just have to fold Cain up
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 08:57 AM
Our friends have a Ford Focus and it's not massive, but fit Axel in happily and I'd guess he's about the same size as Axel?!
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 09:29 AM
I really really struggled parking the Micra (we had a really old one - first of that bubble shape ones - as a second car for me to use during the working week) - anything new with power steering is so much easier despite the size!

One of my friend's labradors is huuuuuuuge as well and he gets the pair of 'em in the boot no problems.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 09:35 AM
No idea on the Almera but I do agree that parking the bigger Focus with powersteering is easier than the little Micra without!
One thing I did when looking for a new car was go to the local Carcraft. Absolutely no intention of buying - wayyyy out of my budget because they're all much newer cars - but you can nosy around on your own and open doors, boots, etc., I was folding down the seats in the Focus to see how I'd get a cage/guard in there etc. Only downside is they try the hardsell, but when they asked about part-exchanging and I pointed out of the window to the Micra I think they realised they weren't onto a winner
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 10:12 AM
There's a decent photo of the boot here (click the Boot space tab)
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/review...-2000/gallery/

I noticed that there are quite a few specific boot liners for it so you could have a hunt for a stockist that specifies the dimension of the liner, that should give you the floor area of the boot

Edit: http://www.micksgarage.co.uk/ProdDet...ent=&utm_term=
reckons it's 1400 x 790 mm - so you could draw out a square to those measurements on some paper/cardboard and stand Cain on it?

Edit2: Also found this - http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/review...-2000/comfort/
which says that the boot capacity is 5l more than the Focus hatchback! I'm sure mine would fit one dog in comfortably with the seats up, you're welcome to try Cain in it
Larrabee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2012, 12:04 PM
I used to have one, although a 1997 model so probably older than the ones you're looking at!

The boot is very roomy, like an estate really. I'd just check the height as it does slope down towards the back. I moved house twice using that boot, and it went on many trips to Ikea bringing back big items of furniture!

I loved it, its low to the ground and reasonably powerful so feels nice and steady even in strong winds, it was good for driving on snow and ice too.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 12:47 PM
I have one and I love mine,good on fuel and very reliable car.

I can fold the back seats down in mine, and can fit both of my dogs in there with plenty of room.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Find one that someone has paid out for parking sensors..
My father in law drives one and has them fitted ..
He loves it ..
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >