View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2005, 04:59 PM
Ooh Steve what an awful thing for you to have to witness. I remember my O/H running over a cat late one night years ago, it was on a lonely road and the cat run out right in front of the car and the wheels of the car ran straight over it. It made me really sick and I blamed him because if he had gone the correct way and not took the wrong turning the cat would still be alive I know it sounds awful but if this cat was really in pain and too bad to save perhaps he did the kindest thing for the cat because it must have been in agony. I couldn't have done it though or witnessed it. It could have took some time to get it to the vet and the vet may not have been open if it was early morning. At least the cat is at Rainbow Bridge now and I truly hope it didn't suffer much

My o/h once had to kill a duck that was in agony after someone ran over its beak. He said it was terrible to see it like that and the nearest vet wasn't open so he had to kill it with a spade to put it out of its misery and end its suffering. No matter how much something was suffering though I just couldn't kill any animal, I just couldn't bring myself to do it
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2005, 05:24 PM
Awww... Poor little cat I think i would have had to take it to the vet if something like that happened to one of mine. But if it was as bad as you say its unlikely it would have survived anyway

A similar thing happened to me once and its horrible to watch isn't it?! I was following a van (weird how its always a van.... ) and a cat came out of the side of the road and like the one you mentioned, he didn't even slow down, or attempt to swerve. he hit the cat doing 60 and just sped off. Me and the car behind me both stopped and i knew where the cat came from so i went and told them. They were devastated and the poor thing had a litter of 2 week old kittens

I think the least you can do when you run over someone pet is stop and try to find the owner! How awful would it be to drive along and find your cat/dog dead on the side of the road??
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-06-2005, 05:36 PM
Personally, and it's just my opinion, I actually admire the bravery it must take to end your own pet's life. I couldn't necessarily do it myself (sat up all night with my hamster the night he died) but it's not simply a callous thing to do. The time and effort involved in transporting the cat to a vets would've cause far, far more pain and suffering for the poor thing.

Just my opinion.

Becs
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2005, 05:36 PM
That can't of been nice for you Steve.

I think from the Cats point of view it was probably the best thing, I know we don't like to think so, but at least its pain would of been ended swiftly, not mauled around, and shipped from here to there, as you say when there was nothing that could of been done for it anyway.

I think the snap decision was a bit callous to say the least, and had it of been my Cat, I, like you WOULD of gotten him to a Vet, incase there was a glimmer of hope.
Dawn.
iwlass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-06-2005, 05:40 PM
Oh dear, not a good way to start the day

At the risk of sounding callous - I prefer owners who are prepared to take the "hard" decisions, like Andew with his gun - than those who leave the animal to die painfully and slowly

Saying that; I'm not sure that I could do it to my own pet; however humanely motivated though it may be
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2005, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by iwlass
Oh dear, not a good way to start the day

At the risk of sounding callous - I prefer owners who are prepared to take the "hard" decisions, like Andew with his gun - than those who leave the animal to die painfully and slowly

Saying that; I'm not sure that I could do it to my own pet; however humanely motivated though it may be

Yes I quite agree, if the cat was that bad it would have just prolonged the poor things suffering so it was probably for the best, it would have probably have been dead by the time it got to the vets anyway because of the shock
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2005, 05:48 PM
Oh Steve, I'm so sorry you had to see that

What an absolute a*****e he was, the guy who did it.

I couldnt end my pets life, I would have had to take it to the vet
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-06-2005, 05:56 PM
when my dog got run over picked up a brick and threw his back window then he stopped i was there luckely, then phoned the police a proper mess and and a bad day
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-06-2005, 06:23 PM
I totally agree with everyones view that death was envitable so best to end it quickly,but still dont think i could do it myself to a pet.I have done plenty of shooting in my time (rabbit,pheasant,pidgeon etc) and im not overly sentimental about death,but these were all destined for the dinner table and not lifelong pets which to me makes a difference.

Reading Becs post was very enlightening about the bravery of the act and i now agree with you.Thanks Becs!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-06-2005, 06:28 PM
it was a brave thing to do and the best thing for the cat but i don't think i could have done it.
it would be a trip to the vets for me.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >