Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lizzer
New Member!
Female 

05-02-2013, 12:05 PM

Dog lunges on walks

Good Morning,

Need a little help and advice with my 10 month old St Bernard. When walking her on the lead she will occasional lunge at random things such as joggers, cyclist and walkers. I can walk her one day and she is as good as gold joggers jog past and she does not bat an eyelid or people walk up to her and fuss her she couldn't careless but then other times she will let out a low growl or she just lunges at them? She is strong so i walk her with a halti so i can keep control of her. When she was a puppy we attended a 12 week puppy socialization and basic training commends which she does well ie: sit, lie down, stay and paw ect...... I get the feeling she may be insecure or anxious but cant understand why its not consistent and why it happens so randomly??? She is gentle giant and a real family dog....... I keep very calm and relaxed when she has these spats so reassure her that everything is ok......Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated i really want to get her out of this as she is still only 10 months
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2013, 02:10 PM
Think I was advised of this on here, but I did with Samson and he is great now (15 months) Train the 'watchme' when you spot a trigger coming put her into a sit, hold a treat up to the corner of your eye and say 'watch me' hold it there slowly repeating the watch me command until the trigger has passed then it's well done good girl and treat, I Found I had to have a few treats to hand but this didn't take long to train out, good luck x x
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
Think I was advised of this on here, but I did with Samson and he is great now (15 months) Train the 'watchme' when you spot a trigger coming put her into a sit, hold a treat up to the corner of your eye and say 'watch me' hold it there slowly repeating the watch me command until the trigger has passed then it's well done good girl and treat, I Found I had to have a few treats to hand but this didn't take long to train out, good luck x x
Excellent advice here and that it exactly what I had to teach one of mine when he tried to chase cars, bikes etc. It worked for my dog and the 'watch me' command can come in really useful in lots of situations. Good luck.
lizzer
New Member!
Female 

05-02-2013, 03:02 PM
This is great feedback..... Its working out what the trigger is now as she is so random haha!!!
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2013, 03:35 PM
Usually anything faster than they are lol x x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2013, 05:46 PM
If she likes a ball, I'd suggest you get a ball on a rope, so that as she carries it in her mouth, if you grab the rope everytime you suspect trouble (i.e. she might want to lunge at somebody), holding the rope will stop her, because she won't want to let go of that ball.

This works for me, even though I already have the watch me, however, the "watch" doesn't work for me if a dog walks past, barks and lunges to get at mine, and my dog wants to have a go back at it, whereas the ball always, always does, never failed me yet and I've been in some very sticky situations. I now anticipate if there's trouble up ahead and as I get nearer, I just take hold of the rope and all is fine.

It's great if you can get some kind of a focus, even if it's a treat that she's not going to take her eye off, and she gets it when the "trouble" has gone past. Good luck.