Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackster22
New Member!
Male 

31-05-2010, 07:53 AM

Scorpions

Hello fellow Dogsey Members! We are currently in our summer house for half term and unfortunately have had to leave our 8 month labrador puppy at home for our long weekend trip to the south of france. Everytime we are here we notice the scorpions, in fact, one just ran across our breakfast table! We are hoping to take our dog down for the summer holidays but are concered about the scorpions biting him, unfortunately he chases anything and everything that moves, so there is no doubt he will sniff one out! They are fairly small scorpions and i dont think venom, if any, is present. I would love to know your opinions on the matter, i know it is not impossible because surely there are dogs in South Of France! I was just looking for an answer like: What happens if he eats one, or if the scorpion bites him? Is it fatal? etc...
Thanks very much!
Jack
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Hi Jack I would speak to your vet about this , he will probably have a list of venomous/potentially dangerous creepies and maybe there is some medication or antidote which is suitable to take with you in case your dog is bitten.
Jackster22
New Member!
Male 

31-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Hey ! thanks so much for the reply! I will do that when i get back ! Thanks!
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2010, 09:27 AM
What about having a word with your neighbours in France? Or speaking to the locals in any nearby village. They should be in the best position to tell you about the local wildlife or even a vet in France? It may not only be scorpions that you have to worry about!

My father lives in Spain & at a certain time of the year a species of furry caterpillar drops off trees in the local woodlands. They are extremely irritant to dogs & can be very dangerous so all the locals avoid taking their dogs to these woods at that time of year.
Jackster22
New Member!
Male 

31-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Hey! Thats a good point! I shall go and see them now! Thank you!