Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hairdoer6779
New Member!
Female 

27-05-2010, 10:47 PM

Have a question

just wanted to know how old are male puppies before there testicals drop . wen should i worry
Double Trouble
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-05-2010, 11:06 PM
Within seven weeks! both should have descended by the time they are old enough to leave the litter!
DT
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Hi

I notice from your post that you have a chi - which is obviously a very small dog - it may not be possible to feel such small testicles at a very young age - though you don't actually say how old your puppy is.

Testicles can take their time to descend - and the more you feel around for them the more likely they are to hide them. Normally in a toy breed I would expect to be able to feel something by about 14 weeks but I wouldn't panic even then. If your really worried get your vet to check at the second vaccination stage - but again remember the vets is not altogether a pleasant place for a young pup so again they may retract them when worried.

The other thing to bear in mind is that when they teeth they can retract their testicles or appear lop sided for a bit. Just leave them alone to sort themselves out.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it - they'll either come down or they won't. If they don't, or only one does, then I would have have the retained testicle removed at a later date (I know my own vets is happy to wait until the dog is 9 months to a year before jumping into remove it).

Testicles have been known to drop suddenly as late as 12 months but that is quite a rare occurance.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-06-2010, 02:19 AM
At 7 weeks none of my 4 male Labs had anything more than a slight swelling whne I got them at 7 weeks.