Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-02-2015, 12:07 PM

Computer interregation

has anyone tried it? I do it quite often

This is just a shot of part of the information on it

it is a free download from here

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

on the net there should be one for Mac as well.

this tells the serial numbers of most of what you have which is not normally easy to find
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-02-2015, 12:09 PM
What does it do and what does it mean
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2015, 12:24 PM
But why would one need this? I have no idea what I am even looking at...
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-02-2015, 12:24 PM
TW

it informs you of the internal parts of your computer basically.

For example do you know if your computer has space for more RAM?
there are 2 ways of finding out
first open up your computer and see if there are any spare Ram slots available, even then you still won't know the amout of RAM your computer has.

Second use the above and not only will it let you know is there are any spaces left but also what your computer has.

Do you know how big your hard drive is?
it is here

you see all slots are used and the total RAM on my computer is 16 RAM

The Belarc Advisor is full of such informastion and you don't have to search anywhere else.

let us say you computer has a problem. you lost a program but can get it back by downloading a trial of it which has a limited time. Oh dear you threw out the box which gives you the serial number for it.

Help what do you do????

If you had done a printout of the information on this Balarc Advisor beforehand the serial number would be there somewhere.

Do you know the size of your hard drive/s? look at the photo under DRIVES. There is shows i have 2 hard drives and the size of each
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2015, 12:28 PM
More space for RAM? How does one even add RAM to a device? How could one decipher what the numbers really mean? This is wayyyyy technical. I use computers, I can't make nor modify them.

*dies from technical difficulties due to not understanding technical difficulties*
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-02-2015, 12:55 PM
Ok say you want to upgrade your computer part but don't know how or what.

You go into a computer shop and say my computer I can't get any more photos etc on my hard drive/computer
The person in the shop asks how big is the hard drive on your computer?

Err got no idea what do you mean????

hand over the belarc printout and they can see straight away without even opening up your computer to check by looking a the drives section (see above)

it is a great thing to have a printout of in case you need your computer looked at if taken to a shop for repair
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2015, 01:04 PM
Oh, gotcha. You hand it to computer people to help them help you. Speaking of which, I've always been really unlucky in that regard. We only buy mid priced computers, and each time one has an issue, it's always severe. Hard drive died along with the logic drive and everything thing else all at the same time. Truly crash style. Repairs always either exceed or are right near the cost of a new computer, so they are always destroyed and replaced.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-02-2015, 01:12 PM
mjfromga

The thing most, even me, did not realise is that shop bought computers often have the cheapest components in them possible.
The total cost of a shop bought computer will include -parts seller cost to the computer builder--build costs- VAT and shop profit.

So a computer in a shop costing say for example £300 in actual fact is only worth £80

This is one of the reasons my son and I, mainly my son, built my own. Working within a budget we got the best of each part installed.
We bypassed the shop charges and put in what we wanted not just any old part.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2015, 01:29 PM
That does make sense, tumbleweed. They always break. In any case, there is nothing for it, I cannot possibly build a computer. I can barely use one.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-02-2015, 01:57 PM
Ok that was for the tech-know members mainly but what one can do is easily check how hot a computer is running. This is one of the main causes for computer failure. I will put up mine later on.

So easy to check anyone can do it. when starting a computer up keep the delete button down. This puts you into Bios mode, ok no need to panic, it is quite save to do so. When this screen is up you don't have to do or touch anything but you will see the temperature your computer is running at.
there will be and "exit " button to come out of it or just switch off your computer .

Mine runs at about 32c but the video when I post it will confirm. This is around what a computer should be working at, the cooler the better.

The main cause of over heating is dust especially around the air flow vents /fans and the processor cooling fan. I find the best way to get rid of dust is with what is called a rocket blower (google it cost around £10).
Remove the side panel and give it a good blowout.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >