View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jaeger
New Member!
Female 

06-02-2017, 05:10 AM

New to showing and have a color question.

I am new to showing, I have been working with our puppy and getting her ready, at home and taking handling classes.
Our first show will be in May, and I started thinking tonight, I need to start buying some gear. Far as my show clothes and leads/collars. I know for the "back drop" to use something that will make my dog stand out. But is there a protocol people use when it comes to buying the collar, should it blend in with the dogs colour?.. is the lead something you want to match your top?, or that doesn't matter.. do you want it to stand out or blend in as well?
I will be showing a Weimaraner, if that helps with suggestions.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-02-2017, 01:44 PM
go to your first show and see what other owners use before buying anything.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-02-2017, 03:11 PM
Especially in gundogs, your dog is far more important than your outfit. I would wear something that looks smart enough, but is practical and comfortable, and doesn't direct attention away from your puppy.
Have a look at the winners photo's in one of the dog papers to see what leads people are using. I used to favour a plain half inch leather show slip for gundogs, but everyone has their own favourite. As Tumbleweed says, I would wait till you get there, see what is available, and what you feel most comfortable using.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-02-2017, 09:51 AM
Given you are in Canada, from what I see most handlers (woman) seem to wear skirt suits, so I would go with a colour that sets off your dog, regards the leads, if you goggle for showing weims , you will see most people use a slip leather lead, again the colour will be optional, but use one that blends into his /her colour, I think Westminster is on next week, why not try to watch on line the wiems, and it will give you an idea of what to wear and so on.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2017, 08:55 PM
Jackie I was going to suggest that. It has reminded me to watch as I had forgotten the date.
DogSent
New Member!
Female 

08-03-2017, 04:05 AM
Hi!
I would suggest buying a collar that is in contrast with the fir. That will definitely help in emphasizing his fur color.
akitababy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-03-2017, 04:03 AM
The best way to know the right accessories/gears for your dog is by watching a show. From there you can get an idea, and as an owner you surely know what color will blend into your puppy. Congratulations by the way, and I am wishing you all the best of luck.
Bulldogs4Life
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2017, 01:33 AM
I like to use a plain black collar or one that matches the dog's coat, usually use a black lead or lead that matches the collar.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2017, 02:45 PM
A collar that is too much of a contrast does tend break the flow of the line of neck into the shoulder. If you use a separate lead or an all in one, one that matches your dog or your outfit can look good, but personally I prefer collars that blend in as much as possible.