Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2007, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
But they do, I believe there are classes at crufts for gamekeepers, these dogs are working dogs, they do the job day in day out, not hobbie workers, Same in trials, with police dogs now doing the odd run round the ring, I dont believe for a moment that these titles are very simple to gain compared to doing the actual job, when in the past I have done obediance its far from easy,,ok its not a job but it far from easy, trials, again I would far rather do a track on my own with no pressure, when compeating its not easy,,, I feel there is a misconcepetion to how dogs gain titles in working,,,
not sure but how easy is it for a dog to gain a title in hearding, I would think again not easy for a collie that does it day in day out,
If your only doing it as a hobbie it must be even harder,

I don't know much about the Gamekepper's class Shona, never been involved with Gundogs but I don't think these are serious competition for the top awards. But not disputing that there are breeds with genuine dual pupose dogs. These are mostly the HPR Gundog breeds where there is no work/show split, or at least much less than other Gundog breeds.

There was a Moobli/Megan difference of opinion on one of these threads, on how difficult the KC herding qualification is, and very interesting it was.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2007, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
I don't know much about the Gamekepper's class Shona, never been involved with Gundogs but I don't think these are serious competition for the top awards. But not disputing that there are breeds with genuine dual pupose dogs. These are mostly the HPR Gundog breeds where there is no work/show split, or at least much less than other Gundog breeds.

I still feel its poss for them to gain Champion status in the show ring and do a days work, Ok its prob not the highest % that could do well in both but thats my point we should all, be it working or showing aiming to breed to the standard giving a dog that is correct in size type and conformation with the brain in its head that its ment to have,

Re: serious competition for the top awards,, out of the 22'000 dogs entered, only one will win, but we still make the the haul down there { though I only go every second or third year for the piss up} knowing we are only making up the numbers,,, Holly has qualified for 2008 will I drag her all the way down to Birmingham,,, put her through the stress,,, Prob not,,,unless she becomes glamour queen over night,,, she has jumped through barbed wire,,,chaseing rabbits, somehow getting the barbed wire in her mouth,,prob as she was panting so heavily scared the front of her mouth,,, chipped a side tooth, not that its going to hold her back,,, just you know at least one thing in each month will happen to her she is such a wee git,

There was a Moobli/Megan difference of opinion on one of these threads, on how difficult the KC herding qualification is, and very interesting it was.

will be intresting to read that, I dont know anything about hearding, I should as I sometimes use the farm collie to bring the sheep to the gate, but she is kinda auto pilot, you just send her then stand there,, sure on the hill she would need some commands but not on the flat field, the sheep know its dinner time too,,,, if you dont feed them by 4.00pm the come down and bleet untill you feed them,, worse when there in the shed in winter,

was it this thread or another one,?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2007, 03:53 PM
so sorry about the size of the text in post 509 it looks so rude, but i seem to be having problems with these today on the forum, is anyone else having trouble,,,
its not ment to be rude,,,so sorry just cant seem to get it to go smaller,,
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2007, 03:57 PM
No probs, it looks v pretty

The discussion was on the 'working dogs' thread, from page 6 here - http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=65498&page=6
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2007, 04:46 PM
I competed in the keepers class with my gwp, Teal. I did take Pippa, my working springer as I had entered her in the springer class but I missed it! I think the winner of that was a woman who just works her springers, and doesn't show.

There were actually quite a few people there who didn't show, just worked and went to show off their dogs and support the classes and BASC, who ran it.

Helen
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2007, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I competed in the keepers class with my gwp, Teal. I did take Pippa, my working springer as I had entered her in the springer class but I missed it! I think the winner of that was a woman who just works her springers, and doesn't show.

There were actually quite a few people there who didn't show, just worked and went to show off their dogs and support the classes and BASC, who ran it.

Helen
Is it only Crufts that puts on Gamekeepers classes? I suppose these are now going to become casualties of the docking ban for a lot of the competing breeds... such a shame. Or perhaps the KC will make them non-competing?
john100
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-07-2007, 07:15 PM
Think they have left a loop hole in the showing of docked breeds.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2007, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by john100 View Post
Think they have left a loop hole in the showing of docked breeds.
In what regard ? Dogs docked after the laws commencement dates can not be Shown in the Conformation ring when there is a fee paying public present, [ including Crufts ], in the relevant parts of the UK covered by the new laws.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2007, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
But the point is that conformational merit does not prove the dog can do the job it was bred to do. It needs to actually DO the work for that.
OK, I'll try to make this as brief as possible.

My dogs were not bought from Show kennels or working kennels, they were bought as pets. I had no intention to do either with them.

I went to a rally where many owners/breeders of Mals/Huskies/CEDs attend adn run their dogs for fun or race them.

My big boy is the laziest little sod in the universe, and someone else put a harness on him and attached him to a Rig. I was told to hold on to him for dear life. I stood there looking at my dog that looked (to me anyway) like he just wanted to sniff the dog's butt in front of him. The moment the woman stood on the rig and yelled, my dog was off like **** off a blanket. Without any training, he followed strange commands and kept going until he finished without a second glance. My bitch did pretty much the same her first time out. They are now worked regularly and they love it. Since then, I have yet to see a sled dog that 'Won't Run !!! and have never seen a sled dog that didn't enjoy it.

Ok, so it wasn't on snow, but you cant tell me that dogs that were originally bred for a job, don't still carry those instincts.

if a dog still has its instincts (which most do) it probably CAN do the job it was bred for.

Besides that, I neither have the money or the inclination to take my dogs to Alaska to prove to you that they can work.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2007, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
OK, I'll try to make this as brief as possible.

My dogs were not bought from Show kennels or working kennels, they were bought as pets. I had no intention to do either with them.

I went to a rally where many owners/breeders of Mals/Huskies/CEDs attend adn run their dogs for fun or race them.

My big boy is the laziest little sod in the universe, and someone else put a harness on him and attached him to a Rig. I was told to hold on to him for dear life. I stood there looking at my dog that looked (to me anyway) like he just wanted to sniff the dog's butt in front of him. The moment the woman stood on the rig and yelled, my dog was off like **** off a blanket. Without any training, he followed strange commands and kept going until he finished without a second glance. My bitch did pretty much the same her first time out. They are now worked regularly and they love it. Since then, I have yet to see a sled dog that 'Won't Run !!! and have never seen a sled dog that didn't enjoy it.

Ok, so it wasn't on snow, but you cant tell me that dogs that were originally bred for a job, don't still carry those instincts.

if a dog still has its instincts (which most do) it probably CAN do the job it was bred for.

Besides that, I neither have the money or the inclination to take my dogs to Alaska to prove to you that they can work.
I really fancy having a go at this with the rotts, if they took to it, which I think they would It would make such a diff to my life, walking the dogs is becoming a killer, I only ever take two at any one time, they need a good hour miin and that makes three hours walking just to keep them normal,,, if Im showing I would prefer they got another hour not doing two at once but one in the morning and one at night,,, I have hip issues and due to the sheer amount of walking my pelvis has decided to twist,,, arg,,, would be my idea of heven on earth stood on a scooter and watching the dogs have fun,
duno how it would go should a rabbit pop its peepers up though, could end off wrapped round a tree
Page 52 of 54 « First < 2 42 49 50 51 52 53 54 >