View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
linds1917
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-09-2006, 11:07 AM

distructive behaviour !!! (for how long does destructive chewing go on?)

HI EVERYONE.
well we've all been there if you've had a puppy, but what i ask is how long does it continue for ??? you know the wallpaper being ripped from the wall, the £300 patio set in the back garden being chewed, the carpet on the stairs being pulled apart and thats not all of it..... the list is endless.
it doenst seem to matter how long i play with him,how many toys i buy him and how many walks i take him on a day he still finds something in the house to wreck!!!!
im at my wits end.
how much longer do i have to put up with oscars unruley behaviour.. he is 8mths but before all i know he could be doing this for the next 8years. (heeeeelp,pleeease)
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-09-2006, 11:18 AM
Just a couple of questions which will help me, and others I suspect.

Have you had the dog the full eight months?
Is someone at home all day?
Do you have children in the house?
What play does the dog get with you?
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 11:21 AM
I have had many pups and never had a problem with them chewing in the house. I did however have a problem with the egyptians, but they were part feral and being kept in quarantine for 8 months, didn't know what the inside of a house looked like, so they were forgiven.

If you are serious about not wanting a chewer, then try to have an open mind about possibilities...

For pups that are destructive, I always recommend a crate. In fact my sister took her pups away at 8 months and she cried for it, to her it was her little den, away from the world. The rule is they never ever get into trouble in there, and they never get shut in there for doing anything bad. It is NOT a punishment.
It is simply a way to keep a pup safe from it's surroundings until it is old enough to not be watched when you can't be supervising. Introduced and used properly, it is a wonderful thing. Why not look into it...
linds1917
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-09-2006, 11:22 AM
right ive had him since 7weeks.
i am at home all day as i have 4 children 2 who are at home 2 who are at school
he gets a walk in the morning and eveing and a run up to the school and back twice a day
and as for play the kids play endless with him when they come home and i play with him with, dont laugh.. my oven glove which i add is just for him. a squeeky ball and he loves his pully rope. i play with him and my husband rougher than the kids do.
also he does have a crate
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-09-2006, 11:33 AM
I suspect you'll end up with as many suggestions as there are days in a month, but that has to be a good thing. It's always hard knowing what to suggest for the best when you can't see the full context of the problem but another question if I may...

If someone is at home all day, when is the dog doing the chewing? Through the night, or at every available opportunity as soon as someone isn't looking?
linds1917
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-09-2006, 12:07 PM
The second of the 2.
take to day. i was upstairs with my 2 youngest in the bath, now i dont let oscar upstairs because he grabs the kids toys and i dont like him up there anyway.
i can hewar a strange noise, so i get them out the bath come downstairs and hes chewed a massive hole in the carpet , never touched it before ???
so yeah everytime my backs turnedhe either up the stairs like a shot chewing a toy or a book or up to no good els where in the house. i need eyes in the back of my head.LOL.
hes never intrested in his toys unless someones at the other end so why is he intrested in something that no ones playing with him with (if that makes sense)
i think its like a kid attetion seeking..he has to share attetion with 4 well 5 if you include hubby and he doenst like it.
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 02:20 PM
well the good news is he will grow out of it...eventually

The staffie I had years ago ate through a double bed, and a door so I do empathise. However, I do think you are expecting too much from your pup - if anything gets chewed, you only have yourself to blame really, sorry if that sounds blunt, but it is the truth.

Invest in a crate or a pen, where you can safely leave him (you wouldnt leave an 8 month old baby to its own devices would you? The principle is the same for pups!), with things that he IS allowed to chew, and give him loads of praise when he does entertain himself with those things. If he is chewing something he didnt ought to - remove it (or him) without comment and give him something that IS acceptable.

thandi
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 02:23 PM
ok - he is a staffie - so the answer is forever !!!

they do love to chew - i suppose its just trying to train him to chew the right stuff !!! - good luck !!!