View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

19-03-2006, 07:05 PM

Cold like symptoms - What could it be? kennel cough?

ok, poor oscar is showing a runny nose ish, sneezing, not too often, but is showing a very noisy breathing.

possibly kennel cough but not convinced its that

any other possibilites ?

and do i need to go back to the vets again tomorrow ?

p.s. he stinks too and so needs a bath.lol
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2006, 07:09 PM
Does he have any other symptoms, usually with kennel cough dogs literally do cough and retch. However, he could have just the early stages of it - I would get it treated at the vets. Left untreated kennel cough can lead to pneumonia and can be very serious.

Perhaps it is just a viral infection?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-03-2006, 07:13 PM
Hi ceiron sorry to hear that...

Yes it could be kennel cough, can I ask did the vet listen to Oscas heart the other day. The reason I am asking is a heart problem can cause seizures (heart not pumping blood to the brain efficiently) ,it can also cause congestion and a build up of fluid on the lungs/wheezing/coughing .

I would definately take him to the vet, the poor old chap... I hope his tummy is better.
Added I would keep him nice and warm with a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel if you have one and drinks of warm boiled water with honey in.
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

19-03-2006, 07:20 PM
poo, knew i needed something, i forgot the honey

vet did listen to his heart yes.

he gave him the all clear too.

so not too impressed.

4th vet visit in a week

i so cant afford him
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2006, 08:18 PM
Hope Oscar's OK Ceiron Keep us posted please
Yorkie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Hi,
Milo has got these symptoms too...He was a bit sleepy yesterday and then he was sick before and hasn't eaten today. He won't drink either. He's been sneezing a little over last couple of days but not a lot really. Every now and again today he is making a noise when he's breathing like he wants to cough (like a rattle almost). He is still quite alert when I'm speaking to him but just wants to sleep alot. I'm really worried!!
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

19-03-2006, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by Yorkie
Hi,
Milo has got these symptoms too...He was a bit sleepy yesterday and then he was sick before and hasn't eaten today. He won't drink either. He's been sneezing a little over last couple of days but not a lot really. Every now and again today he is making a noise when he's breathing like he wants to cough (like a rattle almost). He is still quite alert when I'm speaking to him but just wants to sleep alot. I'm really worried!!

ok that def sound slike kennel cough or something serious.

need a vet asap ie tomorrow morning.
Yorkie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-03-2006, 09:46 PM
Gonna take him vets tomoz!! I'm even more worried now!! How do dogs get kennel cough? Does it develop so quickly??
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

19-03-2006, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by Yorkie
Gonna take him vets tomoz!! I'm even more worried now!! How do dogs get kennel cough? Does it develop so quickly??
dont be worried, its rarely fatal.

the symptoms can appear seemingly over night but its genrally they sit for a while and then you suddenly notice them as thye beome more accute.

jsut see what vet says, it should be ok as you have caught it relatively early
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2006, 10:16 PM
My dogs have just had the very same thing, sneezing but no coughing, at first i thought it was because we were having building work done at home, but I took them to the vets anyway, all four were put on AB's but yesterday Bailey took really bad, first his front legs he seemed lame but I couldnt work out which leg was causing the problem, approx 1 hour later his back legs gave way, I rushed him to the vets and it appears this "virus" has gone secondary and he now has septic arthritis, he is now on different AB's plus non steriod anti-inflamatories, we are back again tomorrow at the vets. just keep an eye on your guys, this last episode happened in a space of two hours never seen a dog go downhill so quick.

Mo
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >