Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by dogdragoness View Post
So why DO dogs pin each other? & Why shouldn't a human do it?
Because we don't speak dog. Dogs use a variety of communication processes that we are far from understanding.

Dogs knock each other over, stand above, roll each other about for a variety of reasons, for example, in play, to defuse a situation, to get to know each other better. Along with the actions goes a whole load of body language that we are not equipped to emulate.

By trying to 'be a dog' we could be saying all sorts of things that we never intended
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by dogdragoness View Post
So why DO dogs pin each other? & Why shouldn't a human do it?
We don't know exactly WHY dogs pin each other - which is exactly why a Human Should't do it!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Dogs DON'T pin, they simply stand over a prostrated dog usually using body language and vocalistions to keep it in place, quite simply being a bully and thug, much like CM himself!!
The nearest I can say any of my dogs 'pin' is when Terra sits on the heads of one of the others when playing!!
Becky
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 07:00 PM
I have seen dogs 'pin' and not like CM's way.
Cadi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-06-2011, 10:44 PM
I'm going to play devil's advocate for a moment (disclaimer: no, I don't believe kicking the dog or abusing it in anyway way or form is the best way to treat a dog.) But I think you guys are missing a /lot/ BECAUSE you only view his first few seasons and only a few juicy clips.

I've been watching him for a loooong while now, he is much gentler and has shifted a bit in his methods though he does still go for 'punish negatives, reward positives'.

HOWEVER! I want to correct a few untruths here - hate the man but at least hate him for the right reason.

*Shock collars, choke chains, etc: In the first few seasons he CONSISTENTLY told the audience that he ONLY used tools that the owners already HAD. IF they had the choke chains, they had the shock collars, etc. he would show them how to use it properly (supposedly - since the most proper use of an e-collar is to toss it out the trash IMO.)

I don't ever think it has been suggested that people get e-collars (I could be misremembering). Here is a quote of his regarding that: "...but the mild shocks are intended to produce an unpleasant experience that the dog will want to avoid. You the owner have to do your research and perhaps consult a professional or vet before you attempt to use the tool, because, in the wrong hands or used improperly, it can indeed create a traumatic experience for your dog."

So no, he isn't ignorant of the fact that it creates a bad experience in the dog, but that goes in hand with the whole 'neg-punish, pos-reward' aspect of training I suppose (Kinda like corporal punishment. Its not for everyone but you can't tell a parent not to spank their own kid - not counting actual abuse of course.)

*Rehabilitation: What worries me is that a lot of you are comparing how your dog would react in the same situation as the ones that CM deals with...that's so wrong its not even funny. Hell its logical fallacy. The dogs CM is dealing with are already out of control - a /lot/ of the ones he got very physical with are very vicious dogs (red zones). Some of them are rescued (in which case they HAVE been kicked before, but not necessarily by CM - hence intense reaction due to prior experience.) Some of them have had bad handlers that I am POSITIVE lost their cool enough times on the dog themselves when they got frustrated (why else would they be at the end of their ropes and call CM?)

THESE ARE NOT WELL TRAINED DOGS FROM A LOVING BACKGROUND. They are not socialized well, their owners don't know what their doing most of the time (with the exceptional few.) Of course you're dog won't react the same because you're dog is FINE and HEALTHY and HAPPY (go you! )

*Seasons: Keep in mind he is in season 7-8 now. Looking back on his season 2-3 episodes I cringe at how bad he was and how rough he handled them. He was raised in a farm so I can imagine how 'rough handling' is a lot more acceptable, if not expected. Hell I know that's how its like in some countries I've lived in. Current seasons he is much gentler from what I've seen...Unfortunately however he still does the neg-punish, pos-reward system.

Okay, No longer playing devil's advocate now

I would /love/ to see an episode where CM is placed side by side with a trainer who does pure positive reinforcement (the awesome chick from Kikopup?) just to see how they both handle high-risk dogs. Hell, if she proves her methods she might convert him herself and then the whole Dog Whisperer Movement/Fanclub can switch to positive reinforcement! Won't that be awesome?
...*sigh*, a girl can dream.

One last thing: You can't hate his message that no dog should be put down due to his/her behavior and you can't deny the influence Daddy had on the perception of pitbulls. We should be thankful of those two messages at the very least, I just hoped they would be presented in a much better package.
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2011, 11:07 PM
I don't like pure positive, nor do I like pure neg reinforcement, I don't believe in ignoring overtly rude or embarrassing behavior towards humans OR dogs. Of course the adversive I choose is time out &/ or removal from the situation & the fun .

I do not think that any dog who pins another dog isn't a bully, sometimes my dumb puppy Jo gets overexcited when she sees other dogs & even Izze in the morning. I tell her to leave them be but sometimes she gets stubborn & doesn't listen, so when she rates up to the other dogs she gets pinned & even roughed a little by the male dogs, the female (both the barn female & mine) are more patient, but will still pin her if she gets too intrusive. I allow this, when she runs back to me (not scared, just excited/confused... Kinda lol) I Tell her she should have listened to me *rolls eyes*.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 12:19 AM
Kickopup works in shelters rehabing dogs as well

and plenty of people on here have dealt with 'red zone' dogs

The difference is when we are dealing with a reactive dog the first thing most people do is to make sure the dog isnt put into a situation where they do react

I watched an episode of 'its me or the dog usa' where victoria dealt with a red zone boxer dog that was every bit as bad as the ones on cesars show - and she turned him around without having to fight
Cadi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-06-2011, 12:27 AM
Oh I don't deny her ability, I'm just saying it would be good to have a 'train off' if you will, to sort of showcase their methods and push their theory. Its good to show people there are options as opposed to one 'true' way (I keep comparing it raising children but it is kinda like that.)

At least it'll be more interesting then yet another 'Desperate *insert domestic engineer* of *insert random city*'.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 01:06 AM
Originally Posted by Cadi View Post
Oh I don't deny her ability, I'm just saying it would be good to have a 'train off' if you will, to sort of showcase their methods and push their theory. Its good to show people there are options as opposed to one 'true' way (I keep comparing it raising children but it is kinda like that.)

At least it'll be more interesting then yet another 'Desperate *insert domestic engineer* of *insert random city*'.
Its just not as exciting tv
Mia was as red zone as any of CM's dogs - she had a total meltdown with a dog shape on the horizon
Not the best vid here - I had the lead too tight in the begining
But you can see part way along with her training here - it was last year and she was at a dog agility show with loads of dogss

Look at her body language compared to one of CM's 'fixed' dogs - she is happy calm and confident to be there and working with me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vlMvz4V9Qs
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 08:28 AM
'Red zone' - Mmmm! Another 'catch phrase'.

All 'red zone' is is a dog that is uncertain, unsure, scared out of it's mind so cannot cope with the environment/situation they are in.

They are not uncommon (unfortunately). They are worked with week in, week out without the need for force and physical coercion.
Page 30 of 49 « First < 20 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 40 > Last »