View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Robert
Dogsey Senior

23-06-2004, 09:30 AM

Whats the akc recommendation

Does any one know what the American Kennel Club recommends for the earliest age to breed?

I've been told in that its 9 months for a bitch and 7 months for a do!!!!

The bitch in question was one year old on 13th June (unlucky for her) and is on her 3rd cycle now? I thought it was roughly one season a year? I presume that means season.

I know that in USA you can't get a hip certificate until a dog is 2 years old, but apparently both these dogs have had preliminary checks and are absolutley fine.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2004, 09:35 AM
Robert- found this on AKC site

AKC Rules do not allow, except with special documentation, the registration of a litter out of a dam under 8 months or over 12 years of age at the time of mating, or by a sire under 7 months or over 12 years of age at the time of mating.
I find that quite shocking
Up to 12 or under 8 months

for further info-
http://www.akc.org/breederedu/responsible_breeding8.cfm
Dozeydanes
Dogsey Senior

23-06-2004, 09:41 AM
Over here the minimum age of the bitch depends on the breed, small breeds are bred from earlier but large ones are not bred from until two and the maximum age is 8 years, if over this you need Kennel Club permission before the mating if the birth is going to take the bitch past her 8th birthday.
Robert
Dogsey Senior

23-06-2004, 09:41 AM
I really don't know what to say to that. That is so sad....................