Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catsinc
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-11-2006, 12:50 AM

new destruction problem

hi,you may remember ive asked for advice on here before and all has been good.i have had floss for just over a year with never any chewing or crying probs but!!i have a new neighbour and at night as we both have kids we pop outside and sit by my gate in view of our front doors and within earshot of the kids and i take floss with me to sniff about but 1 night 3 weeks ago i went out for the night and came home to floss having chewed a huge hole in the lino in the kitchen(where she always sleeps)i put that down to her thinking id gone out as usuall and left her.but!yesterday i went out and returned home later when it had got dark and she had done a worse!job of the flooring!!i think she thought it was late and i must be out without her but how on earth do i deal with it?she is and always has been left during the day for a few hours but only ever occasionally at night.ive spent a few hours today and tonight putting coats on,off,in and out of the door and the 1st few times of each she was whining.any help please???thankyou
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-11-2006, 01:03 AM
Originally Posted by catsinc View Post
hi,you may remember ive asked for advice on here before and all has been good.i have had floss for just over a year with never any chewing or crying probs but!!i have a new neighbour and at night as we both have kids we pop outside and sit by my gate in view of our front doors and within earshot of the kids and i take floss with me to sniff about but 1 night 3 weeks ago i went out for the night and came home to floss having chewed a huge hole in the lino in the kitchen(where she always sleeps)i put that down to her thinking id gone out as usuall and left her.but!yesterday i went out and returned home later when it had got dark and she had done a worse!job of the flooring!!i think she thought it was late and i must be out without her but how on earth do i deal with it?she is and always has been left during the day for a few hours but only ever occasionally at night.ive spent a few hours today and tonight putting coats on,off,in and out of the door and the 1st few times of each she was whining.any help please???thankyou[/
Hi catsinc strange Floss should start chewing things now as she has passed the teething stage and hasn't done it previously. Perhaps she has got used to going outside and thinks you are out there and she is trying to get out to you Do you leave her with chew toys when she is left, something like a kong to occupy her mind ? Also leaving the radio on will help to mask sounds outside, she may be able to hear your neighbour.
I am sorry I don't understand the part I have highlighted.
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi catsinc I am sorry I don't understand the part I have highlighted.
I think OP means she has put her own coat on and off and gone in and out the door herself to get the dog used to the fact that when the coat goes on and she goes out the door she always comes back - or at least that's what I took it to mean
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2006, 01:31 PM
Yes that technique was demonstrated on 'me or the dog' recently.
catsinc
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-11-2006, 10:23 PM
yes it was my coat on and off lol,yes i think she wants to be with me but not sure wot to do about it.she wont bother with toys or kongs or anything and i leave the tv on!!im at a loss
catsinc
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-11-2006, 09:33 PM
some1 any ideas??please?
mutthouse
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 09:48 PM
This could be separation anxiety but if this isn't a problem with being left then could it be related to something else recent that is a trigger and has only happened recently for instance the fireworks , if you have only had her for a year maybe this is the first opportunity for you both to recognise it as a potential problem :smt102
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 10:17 PM
Have you tried leaving a light on for her, some dogs get stressed out when left alone in the dark. If I am going to be back after it gets dark I always leave a light on for my boys and girls.