Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
raccoon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-07-2005, 11:24 AM

Moving house - PC help pleeaase!!

Hi there! Unfortuantely I am splitting up with my husband and therefore I'm temporarily moving in with my mum. I have a pretty decent PC but I'm terrified of damaging it or messing it up on transporting it and setting it up the other end, I haven't got the original packaging so what's the safest way to move it and any advice or setting up again?? - Mum has Talktalk broadband 1Kb her end, so can plug into that presumably??? I need my PC for work so really can't afford to mess it up! Please help! I thought moving 5 dogs was enough trouble!!

Thanks in advance

Kate
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-07-2005, 11:40 AM
Hi Kate,

The only advice I have is to take it with you in your car (that's if you are travelling by car, the main problem is don't knock it around too much. Apart from that I can't help you.

Good luck

Ian
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-07-2005, 11:45 AM
Donīt worry just unplug everything put it in the car when you have a new place for it plug it in connect everything as it was it will work the same as before
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2005, 11:46 AM
wrap it up in some bubble wrap or something and transport it in the car you are travelling in so it doesn't get knocked around...Your mums broadband will be fine with the computer but maybe you will have to install it to your computer as well as just plugging it in?? I'm not sure...Let us know if you find out.

Also I have heard it is worth backing up your system before moving the PC just incase, better to be safe then sorry
raccoon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-07-2005, 02:33 PM
Hi guys!

Thanks for your help, when you say backup, Mischievous, I'm guessing you mean to disc?? I'm not good at remembering to do this at all, which tempts fate I know!! I've already got broadband here at 512Kbps, so I'll be goin up in the world in one respect! So I'm presuming my PC will work fine (god help me if I can't get onto Dogweb!! Also, does anyone know if it's possible to buy some sort of plug-in to increase hard-drive memory and speed? Mum's comp is really really slow until she's connected to BB, she can't afford a new PC so need to look at - much - cheaper options!!

Thanks again!

Kate
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2005, 02:44 PM
yes make a back up of your whole hard drive to disk

If your computer is fine with 512kb BB then it will be just fine with the extra speed...But I think you may have to install your mums version of BB to your computer so that it recognises the computer if you get what I mean...I'm not sure if you can just plug in the modem and go without doing some kind of installation first??

Yes you can buy lots of different storage solutions for computers that plug into the usb port...maybe buy one of those very thick and informative computer magazines, see if they have a review on any such products etc...I know I have one such mag knocking around here somewhere with a review of that kind...I will try and find it later on, maybe it will have a link to some sites to go look at.

When you say her computer was really slow until she conected to BB do you mean internet wise or in general??...cuz course it will be alot faster on BB the computer may otherwise be just fine

Still it is always a good idea not to clog up any PC by saving to much to your hard drive, so storage is a good idea does your PC have a dvd/cd re-writter?? because in that case of course you can save your stuff to cd or dvd instead of the hard drive.
raccoon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-07-2005, 03:51 PM
Hi again!!

And thanks again!!! I will contact my broadband supplier and see what they say about whether I need to do anything as regards to connecting my computer up to their broadband modem (that means presumably means the modem I have at the moment will be completely de-funct unless I changed the account to a new address right?? Gawd, I don't even make sense to myself!!).

Yes, I have got CD/DVD re-writers, will get onto that, thanks!! When I click onto control panel-system, it says my PC has 1.00 GB of RAM.

My mum's PC is just incredibly slow, snail-pace, it takes about half an hour just to get the box up to connect to the internet, it did have a bad virus once so maybe it never quite recovered!! It really isn't great, when you compare it's crudentials to mine, they're pretty pathetic!! 1KB broadband is wasted on it really!!

Thanks again for all your sound advice!!

Kate
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2005, 03:56 PM
yeah if you are keeping your bb conection you will need to change your details to the new address phone number etc...if you are gonna close down your bb conection and use your mums as she already has it then i'm not sure if you can use the modem you already have or not?! which ever modem you can use if you are using your mums connection you must have to install it first, Ithink!

good luck
pollaton
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-07-2005, 03:59 PM
we drove ours over to belgium with us from england and had no problems, we just got a very big box and bubble wrapped it and it was fine.