Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nickthedog
New Member!
Male 

01-05-2009, 03:09 PM

dog wont stop licking fatty benign tumor

My 15 year old mixed breed dog (around 22 pounds) is in fairly good health but has a fatty benign tumor around his penis. I took him to the vet and he did a sample and it didn't show cancerous. The vet suggested that I could just leave it because he didnt think it would grow anymore. This was about 2 months ago and it was the size of a quarter.

It has since grown to the size of a orange. While it doesnt seem to bother him he does lick it constantly and has licked the area raw and it is blistering.

If I could cover it for a few days it might heal a bit. I have tried several band-aid type bandages but he licks them right off in 20 minutes. Can someone suggest something more sticky to use?

Also what do poeple think about how fast it has grown? Should I think about removal or wait until it becomes a problem (beacuse of his age). I am not sure what the right thing to do is. I have seen that these fatty growths can just grow back in some cases anyway.

Look forward to any help for my best friend.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2009, 03:54 PM
Crickey, that is a lot of growth in two months.

Personally I would take him back to the vets and get their opinion as to whether to remove it.

As for keeping him off licking it - what about a lampshade (elizabethan collar) for when you are not there to stop him - personally I hate using them but if he won't leave it alone and manages to lick bandages off, I think it may be your only option.

Best wishes for the old boy - I hope you get him sorted
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by nickthedog View Post
My 15 year old mixed breed dog (around 22 pounds) is in fairly good health but has a fatty benign tumor around his penis. I took him to the vet and he did a sample and it didn't show cancerous. The vet suggested that I could just leave it because he didnt think it would grow anymore. This was about 2 months ago and it was the size of a quarter.

It has since grown to the size of a orange. While it doesnt seem to bother him he does lick it constantly and has licked the area raw and it is blistering.

If I could cover it for a few days it might heal a bit. I have tried several band-aid type bandages but he licks them right off in 20 minutes. Can someone suggest something more sticky to use?

Also what do poeple think about how fast it has grown? Should I think about removal or wait until it becomes a problem (beacuse of his age). I am not sure what the right thing to do is. I have seen that these fatty growths can just grow back in some cases anyway.

Look forward to any help for my best friend.

It seems like it is already becoming a problem...for him, if he is continually licking it, he will eventually make it sore, and he may even start to nibble away at it,

That is a huge increase in growth is such a sort time, and if it was me, I would be back at the vets and investigate the removal of it.

Don't forget the bigger it is the bigger the op, the more skin they need to take away, and the more invasive it will be to remove.

If it is growing at such a rate, best IMO to have it removed now.

I understand your concern about his age, but you need to speak to your vet to see what your options are, I take it you are certain it is not a malignant tumor...
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2009, 04:43 PM
I have taken my oldie to the vet with fatty lumps. The vet said to come back if it grew or if it was bothering the dog. I`d be going back to the vet personally.
nickthedog
New Member!
Male 

02-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I did take him to the vet yesterday and am going to get it removed next week. In one month the cost doubled from $900 to $1800. I wish I just got it removed last month. Hopefully this will all work out an give him another few good years. My next pet I will get pet insurance early in life because the past few years have been very expensive.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Aawww poor doggy and your poor wallet
I hope he feels better soon.
nickthedog
New Member!
Male 

02-05-2009, 03:30 PM
Also I should say that it is a mass cell tumor. If anyone has had these removed from their dog please let me know the outcome - on the internet I see there is a 50% chance of reoccurance.