Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mason's mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-09-2006, 12:02 PM

How can i stop her doing this?

My 20mth old GSD X Bloodhound keeps rolling in Fox poo! I walk both my dogs through fields every day but she's the only dog i've ever had that has done it. And unfortunately, the more it smells, the more she seems to do it! if i catch on to what she is doing, a stern 'leave' seems to stop her but i don't always catch her in time!
My real concern is that she is having many more baths than she is meant to (I've always been led to believe that 2 baths a year are satisfactory due to natural oil on their fur)
And obviously i don't want her to become ill. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! x
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2006, 12:06 PM
um bit of a hard one of course the easy solution would be to walk somewhere else ( sorry that sounds obveous ) or keep your dog on a lead and pull away from the area's with the fox poo

sorry not much help am I
Mason's mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-09-2006, 12:16 PM
no, thats great, thank you.
I'll try keeping her on the lead and let you know how it goes!
Only prob with walking somewhere different is that i live in a village and theres fields and woods everywhere so its the ideal place to take them but there seems to also be foxes everywhere!!!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2006, 12:18 PM
I am no trainer at all ....infact mine run riot LOL

perhaps keep her on the lead and when she goes towards it just say leave and pull her away

dunno worth a go
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2006, 12:19 PM
I have 2 who do it, if I see them and say leave they will, but if I don't see them, they will merrily roll in it....If you find a solution please let me know!
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-09-2006, 12:20 PM
lol...poor you! my springer benson used to love rolling in fox poo....the smellier and runnier the better . then he'd sulk like mad when we got home and he had to have a bath!! even that didnt get rid of the smell . sorry dont think there's anything you can do to stop it!
Mason's mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-09-2006, 12:34 PM
Hahaha I'm so glad its not just Emmy! She sulks too when its all washed off! Thanks for the ideas guys, i'll give it a go and update you soon!!!
Tigger2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-09-2006, 12:43 PM
Hi Masons mum

My sisters springer does this. I am hoping Tigger wont decide to do it too!
Anyway, my sister was told by her local dog breeder that its an instinctual thing dogs do to mask their true scent in order to be able to sneak up on their prey. Obviously the majority of dogs dont act as predators in this day and age, but thats the theory.
How true that is I dont know but the breeder also told my sister that the smell can be removed by washing the dog in tomato juice!
Just dont blame me if your doglets turn red, as I am just passing on what I was told.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-09-2006, 12:49 PM
Firstly I would`nt worry abouthe amount of baths you give her, if she stinks then bath her, just make sure you use a mild shampoo , like Moli says if you can see it befroe she does teach her the "leave it" command, if you dont see it before she does, then there is nothing you can do other than keep her on a lead...... as far as she is concerned she is dabbing herself in the best and most expensive perfume she can afford.
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2006, 01:02 PM
Sorry MM, I too have a poo roller, and I have found that short of keeping her on lead all the time, which I don't want to do, I just have to put up with it. I have found that keeping a pack of fragranced baby wipes in my car does help a bit. I can usually stop her when she first drops to the floor but if I am too far away she manages a good roll before I can get to her. I also have spare collars as it usually ends up cakes on the inside of her collar too.

If you manage to find a way to stop it - let me know!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >