Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Well done. Let us know what response you get, please?

Wys
x

Yes, I definitely will

Thanks also TASS
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 09:32 AM
Well done you Hope you get a good response back from the BCC.
alfiesblue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-05-2012, 04:40 PM
hello, i am quite new here but the title drew me in because i have had rough collies for 26 years so had a nosey at the thread.

Firstly i would like to say that i dont agree with people leaving their dogs without water.

Secondly i would like to add that with rough collies they are VERY vocal, in that sometimes if my alfie wants to talk to someone who he sees or wants attention, even then it sounds like bloody murder to someone who didn't know him, it sounds awful but it's all for attention, like him saying talk to me.

Also i would like to add that not alot of people like to be told when they are wrong, so the breeder/owner may not have liked being told by someone else that their dog needed water and that may be why at first they didn't replace the water after being told.

Just thought i'd throw in my opinions too!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by alfiesblue View Post
hello, i am quite new here but the title drew me in because i have had rough collies for 26 years so had a nosey at the thread.

Firstly i would like to say that i dont agree with people leaving their dogs without water.

Secondly i would like to add that with rough collies they are VERY vocal, in that sometimes if my alfie wants to talk to someone who he sees or wants attention, even then it sounds like bloody murder to someone who didn't know him, it sounds awful but it's all for attention, like him saying talk to me.

Also i would like to add that not alot of people like to be told when they are wrong, so the breeder/owner may not have liked being told by someone else that their dog needed water and that may be why at first they didn't replace the water after being told.

Just thought i'd throw in my opinions too!

I agree, and it felt very awkward saying anything

I tried hard to word it as tactfully as I could, and simply said 'Would you like me to get some water for your lovely dogs?', and at the same time I indicated that I realised the woman was busy in a conversation. She could easily have just said 'yes' instead of denying that the bowl was empty.

My first dog was a Rough Collie; lovely, gentle dogs.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 09:37 PM
To be honest I think it a slight over reaction complaining officially. At the end of the day she filled up the water, the dog didn't come to any harm.

Mine occasionally run out of water, just the other day they were whining at me and I told them to settle before realising an hour later that their water bowl was empty... They survived with no ill affects!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
To be honest I think it a slight over reaction complaining officially. At the end of the day she filled up the water, the dog didn't come to any harm.

Mine occasionally run out of water, just the other day they were whining at me and I told them to settle before realising an hour later that their water bowl was empty... They survived with no ill affects!

Several people, myself and my friend included, witnessed one of the dogs crying constantly for 45 minutes.

And the woman ONLY agreed to fill up the water bowl once I and several other people pointed out that in fact there was NOT 'a little bit left' but in fact no water at all.

Also, remember that this was in an incredibly hot and crowded hall.

Frankly, I find it astonishing that on a site for dog lovers, people can state that it's an 'over reaction' to be upset at a dog crying constantly for 45 minutes or more. The very second the water was replenished, the dog went straight over and practically empted the bowl again. Goodness knows how long the bowl actually was empty for - someone who was at the stand before me said he thought it was well over the 45 minutes that I personally witnessed.

I really don't give a damn if some people think I am 'over reacting'. These dog owners/handlers/breeders were there as representatives OF their breeds and to ignore a crying dog and fail to ensure there was water.....it's the LEAST they can do for dogs in such hot, cramped conditions.

Perhaps had you been there, you would have been content to walk away and leave a dog crying. I cannot and will not do that.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 10:32 PM
... She filled up the bowl, the dog is obviously not suffering a lifetime of continued water deprivation/cruelty... what do you hope your complaint will achieve?
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
... She filled up the bowl, the dog is obviously not suffering a lifetime of continued water deprivation/cruelty... what do you hope your complaint will achieve?

You don't know how the dogs are treated at home - nor do I. You are also ignoring the point that it shouldn't take a chorus of concern and protest from visitors to the stand to motivate a dog owner to provide water...!

If we as dog lovers don't speak up for dogs in distress, then who will....?

Oh, and to address your query: if my complaint means that this woman's dogs will not be left crying and thirsty at the next event they go to, then that's fine by me.

I can only assume that unlike those of us at the stand, had you been there you would have ignored the dog's constant crying and empty water bowl.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Several people, myself and my friend included, witnessed one of the dogs crying constantly for 45 minutes.

And the woman ONLY agreed to fill up the water bowl once I and several other people pointed out that in fact there was NOT 'a little bit left' but in fact no water at all.

Also, remember that this was in an incredibly hot and crowded hall.

Frankly, I find it astonishing that on a site for dog lovers, people can state that it's an 'over reaction' to be upset at a dog crying constantly for 45 minutes or more. The very second the water was replenished, the dog went straight over and practically empted the bowl again. Goodness knows how long the bowl actually was empty for - someone who was at the stand before me said he thought it was well over the 45 minutes that I personally witnessed.

I really don't give a damn if some people think I am 'over reacting'. These dog owners/handlers/breeders were there as representatives OF their breeds and to ignore a crying dog and fail to ensure there was water.....it's the LEAST they can do for dogs in such hot, cramped conditions.

Perhaps had you been there, you would have been content to walk away and leave a dog crying. I cannot and will not do that.
The time you state keeps increasing -- first it was 35 minutes, now you are saying that someone else said it was "well over 45 minutes". The reality is that beyond what you saw, anything else is pure speculation. You also don't KNOW why the dog was whining -- you can only assume.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
You don't know how the dogs are treated at home - nor do I. You are also ignoring the point that it shouldn't take a chorus of concern and protest from visitors to the stand to motivate a dog owner to provide water...!

If we as dog lovers don't speak up for dogs in distress, then who will....?

Oh, and to address your query: if my complaint means that this woman's dogs will not be left crying and thirsty at the next event they go to, then that's fine by me.

I can only assume that unlike those of us at the stand, had you been there you would have ignored the dog's constant crying and empty water bowl.
Does whining = distress then?
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »