Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Carla0305
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-02-2011, 06:01 PM

Ear problems

Winston is forever having problems with his ears. Being of the drop ear variety and water loving as well as being neurotic over having them cleaned he tends to suffer from infections.

Lately I have noticed that the cleaning solution doesn't seem to be having much of an effect.
Along with his black/redish discharge that he gets with the staph infection his left ear seems to be decreeting a clear liquid - literally like water.
I've kept him out of the water for nearly 10 days now so dont think its that.

He is off to the vets tomorrow but just wondered if anyone had any ideas?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Does he suffer allergies and skin problems as well or is it just his ears?
Carla0305
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-02-2011, 06:18 PM
None that im aware of but we did notice a redish patch on the inside of his leg yesterday, but no excess scratching, skin flaking hair loss or anything.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 06:27 PM
I swear by thornit for ears.
I used to have a dog who had so many visits to the vet with his ears.
He was tested several times and the vet always said bacteria was the cause.

I got some thornit and followed the instructions. A little bit in the ear for about 5 days then once a month. Worked a treat. It is fantastic also on dogs who need hair pulling from the ear canal.

Costs about £7 for 20g small bottle but lasts for a long time.

I put it in a pepper pot to make it easier to use.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-02-2011, 07:27 PM
food allergys....sound very familuer....my dogo sufferes and the ears are one sign,itchy feet or biting at the pads of there feet...also a sign....i have a dogo that is allergic to grains..pork and...penunts......oh..look at the skin in the crotch area......i will try to get some pics...
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 08:05 PM
We have always used Surolan but it had no effect tbis last time, however the new vets said a change of ear drops would probably work better, which it did, very effective - Easotic ear drops. Ours get what i call "allergy ears" - Spring, Summer & Autumn

Good luck at the vets
MXG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Ted also has constant ear infections and we are the process of using a prescription diet to see if it is an allergy to his food. (Hill's Prescription Ultra z/d). The vet also recommended cleaning his ears regularly with Triz-EDTA. No other noticeable symptons to an allergy-his skin appears clear. We will see.....
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Our little dog has been fighting an ear infection for some time now and is starting to beat it, the vets started him on drops of different kinds but he's now on anti b's and anti inflammatorys so his ear can dry out. We've also had to split him up from the other dogs quite a lot to stop them licking his ear and reintroducing bacteria.

Good luck ears can be hard to treat.

Sophie
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Have you tried feeding your dog a grain free diet for a couple of months? Cereals are carbs which are changed into sugars which fed yeast.

I would clean with sterile saline and an excellent ear cleaner is the one that is produced by Quistel as it is not oily.
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Thornit is brill for allergies and ear probs
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >