Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rlba
New Member!
Female 

09-12-2010, 12:09 PM

Border Terrier worries

Hi - I have two border terrier puppies (6 months old). They both seem to have tummy problems a lot of the time. This is the second time that they have been given anti biotics. Is this normal? They do seem to pick up anything and everything they find in the park/road/fields etc. Is there any special remedy/food i could give them to protect them a bit? At the moment they are eating rice and chicken as it seems to be the only thing they will digest and before this latest episode, they were eating eukanuba dried food (which by the way, they hate).
Any ideas?
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Ask the vet to give you some probiotic paste or powder for them. Antibiotics strip the gut of good bacteria and can cause problems in the poop department.

Have you gone to any other vets for a second opinion?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 01:39 PM
If you are wanting to feed a dry commercial food, you could try Wafcol Salmon and Potato and this is one that is usually recommended where allergies may be an issue.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 01:43 PM
As Evie has said there, if ab's are a constant thing in your house, then I would get some probiotics into them as the lack of good bacteria could in effect be causing all the digestive problems. Good luck with them. Are they wormed regularly, it's quite imperative at this age, coz they can cause lots of intestinal problems and runny poo?

I always found chicken and rice kept them sloppy as well, so I changed the rice to mashed potato and that seemed to do the trick. You need a food which is specifically for sensitive tums, and Royal Canin do a load of foods, such as the sensitivity control and digestive low fat, take a look at those and see if they might suit them. Good luck.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Always keep in the First Aid Kit:

Lectade (electrolytes)
Slippery Elm/Tree Bark powder capsules or powder (Hilton Herbs/Dorwest Herbs)
I give my dogs probiotics daily, they are from Healthspan and for humans; the advantage of these over yoghurt is that the coating will survive the stomach to get into the gut where it is required, also these do not need refrigeration, they are MUCH cheaper than most stuff from the vet or Actimel or the like!

Live yoghurt + mashed banana+ slippery elm food is great for repopulating the gut with beneficial bacteria and soothing the tract.

Really whatever brands that anyone recommends is of not much use until and unless you have identified the trigger of the squits.

Most squits is due to overfeeding.

If your dogs scavenge you may wish to consider a) training leave b) keeping them occupied by retrieve games c) wearing muzzles.

HTH