Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 10:15 PM

Rescuing dogs is so hard sometimes and very sad :(

Graham and I went to the dog pound today to rescue a greyhound and a doberman bitch.
We'd been told that the dobie was in poor shape and very thin and needed a good feed.
We saw the greyhound first and she was lovely. She was fit except for 2 untreated broken toes which unfortunately need to be amputated But she will be ok.
Then they brought out this poor dobie. She wasn't just thin, she couldn't walk properly, had a strange gait and straight away I noticed her turning her front and back paws over. I knew she had something really wrong with her so we took her straight to the vets. They did X-rays on her and then phoned us to tell us that she had "Wobblers Syndrome". She had degenerative nerve damage to her neck and she was only going to get worse. It was then up to me to say whether to have her put down or not
She was about 6 years old and after talking to the people I work with at the charity, we decided it wouldn't be fair to keep her going.
So Graham and I decided that we would go to be with her when she was put to sleep so she would at least die knowing some love...but when I was walking mine on the beach tonight, Graham rang me and said the vets had been on saying she was getting distressed and would it be ok if the did the deed straight away. They were very kind and said the nurses had sat with her for 2 hours, given her treats and taken her for a little walk and she was ok. So we said to do what was best for her.
The nurses called her Dolly! She was such a gentle and sweet girl and desperate for love.
I'm so angry with whoever dumped this poor girl in such a state
This is the first resuce we've had to have PTS and I'm really sad. It won't be the last I know, but we must keep going.
Sorry - but I just had to tell someone
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 10:20 PM
R.I.P sweet Dolly, you will find someone to love you at the Bridge baby girl xxx

Zoe you are a kind and lovely person xxx I hope the grey does okay hun
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 10:20 PM
How sad, this has brought tears to my eyes, even though it sounds like it was the best thing for her, it is awful to have to do. Big hugs, i admire you for being able to do this.
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-03-2011, 10:22 PM
That's sad.

Nothing more to say really.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 10:26 PM
Oh Zoe , what a sad day for you and poor Dolly , but got to do whats for the best sometimes , these doggies need people like you to show them love even if its for a very short time Big hugs and take care x
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Thankyou all. I have a lump in my throat the size of a grapefruit at the moment. I think I'd have felt better if she'd been loved before this but to know she'd been dumped in such a state was hertbreaking. Some people just disgust me
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 10:35 PM
So sad I think unfortunately ,from what I have been told it is fairly common for people to dump dogs with health issues and leave others to pick up the bill or do the deed because they havent had the guts to Sorry you had to go through this, but you did the best you could HUGS x
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 11:12 PM
I am so sorry, but at least she was loved and cared for in the end

It is heartbreaking work - you have such a big heart
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-03-2011, 12:28 AM
Hello there . i to rescue...and i hear you.Some times it makes you wonder, why do you put yourselfe through so much.. i wonder why everyday. in my culture, all life deservers a little dignity...because of you, this dog passed with a little...you should feel proud and know there is a dog who needed you and you did your best to see them to the bridge...run free,run forever....
Tinglesnark
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2011, 01:05 AM
Oh poor dolly :'( sending you hugs () x
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >