Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jeffpas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-05-2017, 12:36 PM

Problems with new puppy

Long time dog owner who had two german shepherd mix dogs, both lived about 16 years and recently passed. Needless to say the house has been pretty empty.
Yesterday I heard of a no-kill shelter that had 5 german shepherd pups, so of course had to look.
There were five, all very cute, and next thing you know, I'm going home with one.

The problem is its only 10 weeks old...... practically an infant and I can't even remember having to deal with this! In fact I don't think I've ever had a puppy this young. The dog wants to be in the same room as me constantly, puts up a huge yapping fit as soon as I leave and breaks through barriers, etc. She's peed in the house about 8 times already, I try to catch her but can't follow her every second. I've been told its too early to scold, they can't control their bladder, etc.

Currently I'm between jobs but I have rental property I'm still renovating, and other obligations though I probably can be home quite a bit. My question is this- since I had two dogs before, would it be easier to go and see if I can get another one of the dogs' siblings, a 2nd pup, and raise two at once? It seems like madness.... two would be twice the trouble... but then they would have each other to play with when I'm absent. Or am I being overkill on the 'leave alone' business with a baby dog. Let me tell you this dog wails in agony when I leave the room lol.

The point may be moot, they could be adopted already (I got her yesterday) but I thought I would get opinions. Thanks!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-05-2017, 03:27 PM
I got litter siblings when my old girl died as I was picking a new puppy up the following week, and I came home with a +1. It is a whole new, steep, learning curve. I learnt a lot, but wouldn't want to go through it again.
Your puppy is crying because she is scared, she has been with her litter siblings all her life, probably not had a wonderful start in that life either, if she is in a shelter at 10 weeks old. All of a sudden she is in a strange place with someone she has never met before and has no idea what is going to happen next. If someone picked you up and put you in the middle of China, say. Where you knew no one, couldn't speak the language and had no control over all this, you too would cling like velcro to the one thing you did know, i.e. you.
I puppy pad/paper train all my puppies, they learn very quickly, I start when I wean at 3 weeks, as soon as they start to go, I lift them up onto the pad, and praise when they make the required deposit. They go out to play (subject to weather) at about 4 weeks onwards, and they go outside, when they come in they use the pads and they latch onto to what is required pretty quickly. Once you have her going on the pad, move it nearer to the door, and also make sure she goes out when she wakes up or after eating. If you see her running round in circles, sniffing, take her out straight away.
You have to be really on the ball, and relaxed about all this.
I would stick with the one puppy or now and once she is over one year old, then is a good time to bring her a playmate. Take her to training classes once she has had her first vax and work on her until you are confident.
puka
New Member!
Female 

09-05-2017, 01:25 AM
Puppy training can be a nightmare. When I got mine, she constantly peed inside about 8 times a day. It took about a month before she started to understand not to do that. As you said, they really just have zero control over their bladder, so you just need to accept that as part of early puppyhood.

What worked for me was to catch her in the moment and then bring her to the puppy pad, either during or post-pee/poop. She eventually began to go to the pads of her own accord, instead of just randomly going wherever she was.

You said you just got her yesterday, so it's 100% normal that she's crying when you leave. They all cry for their first few nights in a new place. It's scary, as it would be for humans plucked from everything they know and thrown into a completely foreign environment. She's only a baby and now you're all she has for comfort (before it was her siblings!)

Mine cried for about a week. I live in an apartment and the yelping and howling in the middle of the night was really not great for the neighbours, but eventually she started happily sleeping through the night. Just takes time.

I definitely would NOT get one of her siblings, if I was you. A friend of mine recently fostered two littermates and it was an utter nightmare. While they do entertain each other, it is also much harder to train them because they are constantly distracted by each other and don't care what the owner says or does.

Hope it starts getting easier soon!
swearondog
New Member!
Male 

10-05-2017, 06:54 PM
Leave her to some boarding for some time and ask them to train her in 2 weeks... It can be an option for you