View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Labs4me
New Member!
Female 

18-03-2014, 02:22 AM

Spider bite? Burn? Have you seen anything like this before?

After arriving home this evening I noticed my older chocolate lab had a very red, raw spot on her left hip area, probably 4-5 inches in diameter. Upon closer inspection it appears to be 2 holes in the center of it. I can talk to my vet tomorrow but I'm pretty worried about this right now. She doesn't appear to be in any pain and isn't limping. I have a picture on my iphone but not sure how to post here.
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-03-2014, 06:46 AM
Oh bless her, that does sound like a bit, rather than a burn.

Hope that she's had a good night and that you can see your vet this morning.

Let us know what they say.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2014, 08:01 AM
Please get her to a vet. Spider bites can be very nasty and it might have been there a while before you noticed it.

I've had a serious one and in 48 hrs it turned from a tiny white irritating spot into a seething volcano that was already turning necrotic - required 2 nights at hosp on a drip and a further 2-3 weeks of daily visits to doc to have the gangrenous bits cut away and sterilised and dressed.

If someone hadn't screamed at me to get to the hospital the same night it happened I could very well have lost some fingers apparently if not my whole hand!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2014, 08:08 AM
Might be a snakebite, as well. Though those tend to cause limps. I agree with the others, vet ASAP. My neighbor owned a black Labrador long ago (they never restrained her, she just walked about).

She came home limping one day (she was 16) and the vet appointment was made for the next morning but she died overnight as it turned out to be a rattler bite.

I see you live just a few states away from me. Lots of nasty spiders live down here and if it's a recluse, the dog could be in some serious danger. Hope everything is okay.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2014, 09:16 AM
We have had warnings in England about this;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25820926

Might be worth getting it checked.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-03-2014, 09:44 AM
Sounds like it could be a snake bite.

Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2014, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Might be a snakebite, as well. Though those tend to cause limps. I agree with the others, vet ASAP. My neighbor owned a black Labrador long ago (they never restrained her, she just walked about).

She came home limping one day (she was 16) and the vet appointment was made for the next morning but she died overnight as it turned out to be a rattler bite.

I see you live just a few states away from me. Lots of nasty spiders live down here and if it's a recluse, the dog could be in some serious danger. Hope everything is okay.
T'was a Recluse that got me!

I'm just glad it didn't get Bella! I doubt she would have survived.

*but then Bella just gamboled and frolicked over the ditch whereas I chucked my shoulder bag across first and then leapt and grasped onto every strand of undergrowth I could reach to stop me falling back in!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2014, 06:11 PM
Definitely looks like a snake bite to me with the two holes for the fangs, but why would it have taken so much fur with it?

If it didn't have those holes, I would be looking at the possibility of what's in that link that Jen posted. Might be worth a read for you there as it sounds like it originated from the states unless I've got that wrong.

I'd be going to the vet with that if I were you and good luck, it looks nasty, especially on the face, hope he's ok.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2014, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Definitely looks like a snake bite to me with the two holes for the fangs, but why would it have taken so much fur with it?
I thought Malka had posted that photo to show what a snake bite looks like?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2014, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post

If it didn't have those holes, I would be looking at the possibility of what's in that link that Jen posted. Might be worth a read for you there as it sounds like it originated from the states unless I've got that wrong.

I'd be going to the vet with that if I were you and good luck, it looks nasty, especially on the face, hope he's ok.
I think Malka posting that picture has some of you confused (understandably as you tend to zip straight to the photo). The OP hasn't posted a picture yet. She was trying to find out how and now some seem to be thinking that the photo on here is of her dog. It isn't. That is a picture of a dog's face - OP's dog's problem is on the hip.

Here's what OP said
After arriving home this evening I noticed my older chocolate lab had a very red, raw spot on her left hip area, probably 4-5 inches in diameter. Upon closer inspection it appears to be 2 holes in the center of it. I can talk to my vet tomorrow but I'm pretty worried about this right now. She doesn't appear to be in any pain and isn't limping. I have a picture on my iphone but not sure how to post here.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >