kitla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-01-2011, 11:54 PM

Skin turning black

Toffee is golden, she has a pink tummy with some black
freckles near the hairline. Every so often this area turns
black & this spreads across most of her tummy. She licks
at it sometimes as if its a bit sore. The vet seems uninterested. My feeling is that its hormonal & to do with her moult, but I cant find any information. Does anyone
have any ideas on this?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 12:07 AM
Bens tummy goes more black when he licks it lots
Its a kind of hayfeaver means he licks lots in the summer and his tummy goes v pink and the black bits spread

and the vet has run out of ideas
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 12:31 AM
Ask your vet to check the dogs thyroid function - TSH, T3 + T4
kitla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-01-2011, 12:39 AM
If I remember right, she had her thyroid levels checked when she was about 1, (sorry awful memory) because
of a bald patch she developed,it was ok & never recurred.
Praps thats why the vet isn't worried. Actually I think that
was a black patch as well.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by kitla View Post
If I remember right, she had her thyroid levels checked when she was about 1, (sorry awful memory) because
of a bald patch she developed,it was ok & never recurred.
Praps thats why the vet isn't worried. Actually I think that
was a black patch as well.
What age is she now? I had my girl tested every year from she was 2 and the thyroid dysfunction did not register until she was nearly 5. Unless they run the full battery of tests, TSH, T3 + T4 the results will not be conclusive. I got fed up being fobbed off and told them they had to do something to find out what was wrong. The tests were sent away [vets can do their own tests overnight which are not always conclusive] and when they came back they shoiwed she was most definitely hypothyroid.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 12:58 AM
when my friends westies skin flares up with bad skin (fungal i think) it goes black, red and sore.
ATD x
kitla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
What age is she now? I had my girl tested every year from she was 2 and the thyroid dysfunction did not register until she was nearly 5. Unless they run the full battery of tests, TSH, T3 + T4 the results will not be conclusive. I got fed up being fobbed off and told them they had to do something to find out what was wrong. The tests were sent away [vets can do their own tests overnight which are not always conclusive] and when they came back they shoiwed she was most definitely hypothyroid.
She's 7 now & pretty healthy. What made you get your dog tested? how does the thyroid prob affect her?
nadine201
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Monty's skin did this a while back. Little black patches that went really red & scabby, he was licking at it loads so took him to the Vets. Had two lots of ABs to clear it, took a while, Bless him.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 03:31 AM
Originally Posted by kitla View Post
She's 7 now & pretty healthy. What made you get your dog tested? how does the thyroid prob affect her?
Overweight despite eating less than half of our other boxer. Lethargic, bald patches when 12 months - skin went black, eventually got the bald patches healed with herbal remedy, cold intolerance, exercise intolerance, itchy skin, skin infections. The last symptom she got before being diagnosed was a change in her temperament. She snapped at out other dog which was totally out of character. She should have been on treatment long before she was but until we got a second dog all I ever got was -

exercise more (weight gain - wrong diagnosis)
bald patches [seasonal alopecia - wrong diagnosis)
cold intolerance (get her out and exercise more - wrong diagnosis)
Skin problems (it happens)

Ironically when she went on thyroid treatment it was like a miracle especially in the first week, after 3 days she was running up and down the hall playing with a squeaky toy
kitla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-01-2011, 06:48 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Overweight despite eating less than half of our other boxer. Lethargic, bald patches when 12 months - skin went black, eventually got the bald patches healed with herbal remedy, cold intolerance, exercise intolerance, itchy skin, skin infections. The last symptom she got before being diagnosed was a change in her temperament. She snapped at out other dog which was totally out of character. She should have been on treatment long before she was but until we got a second dog all I ever got was -

exercise more (weight gain - wrong diagnosis)
bald patches [seasonal alopecia - wrong diagnosis)
cold intolerance (get her out and exercise more - wrong diagnosis)
Skin problems (it happens)

Ironically when she went on thyroid treatment it was like a miracle especially in the first week, after 3 days she was running up and down the hall playing with a squeaky toy
Interesting, Toffee did get matching bald spots at about a year old, thats when the black skin first became apparent,
thats also when whe was tested. But test was nil, they went & never came back.
We do get nagged about her weight (2/3 kgs over) though
she's a picky eater. She doesnt like the cold much (we put that down to part greyhound/whippet). and she has periods
of laziness cutting her walk short. So its all there but intermittent, think I'll keep a diary to see when it happens.
I've recently changed her diet to Orijen - bloomin expensive
but I'm seeing a difference in her already.