View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chileanborder
New Member!
Male 

18-12-2017, 01:53 PM

Not quite sure about food serving size...

Hi all,

First of all, this is my first thread. Glad to join this space.

I have a 6 weeks Border Collie. His name is "Inti". He came home 2 weeks ago, and he is kind of a picky eater, so I'm trying a different brand of dry food, that is working quite well:

LINK: https://brit-petfood.com/en/products...mon-and-potato

I am concerned about the serving size. Inti is 3mo, weights almost 6kg, so accordingly to the feeding table, i should be feeding him 50 grams / day. That does not sound right to me, since the serving size for the former food, PURINA, was close to 150 grams / day.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers!
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-12-2017, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by chileanborder View Post
Hi all,

First of all, this is my first thread. Glad to join this space.

I have a 6 weeks Border Collie. His name is "Inti". He came home 2 weeks ago, and he is kind of a picky eater, so I'm trying a different brand of dry food, that is working quite well:

LINK: https://brit-petfood.com/en/products...mon-and-potato

I am concerned about the serving size. Inti is 3mo, weights almost 6kg, so accordingly to the feeding table, i should be feeding him 50 grams / day. That does not sound right to me, since the serving size for the former food, PURINA, was close to 150 grams / day.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers!
Hello and welcome
If I read the table correctly, you need to factor in what your dog's adult weight will be.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2017, 05:03 PM
Looking at that chart and factoring in the adult weight, I'd say between 150 and 170 g per day
Toller
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-12-2017, 01:44 AM
FWIW my dogs have always eaten about half of what the packages recommend. I asked my vet about it and he says that is true for everyone.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2017, 08:29 AM
On average puppies eat twice as much as an adult dog so that they grow correctly. But they must not have lots of strenuous exercise outside of the house/garden. The rule of thumb for exercise outside of the house/garden is 5 minutes for month of age until at least 9 months so that their limbs and muscles have grown properly. I would be feeding at least 200 to 300 grammes a day but your pup will tell you if he is hungry or not at each meal. Spread the meal times over at least 4 times per day and don't give strenuous exercise until at least half an hour has passed after eating. Make sure that you put a little warm water on the food to make the aroma come out. Pups and adult dogs go by the smell of food not the taste as a rule.
Bit confused about the age that you have given: You start off with 6 weeks and then say 3 months? Either way the amounts I have suggested should help. Did you see his parents? That will give you a guide to go by as to how large he will be when fully grown.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-12-2017, 11:01 AM
Just a word of warning about dry food. Some can swell up when moist and if a dog eats too much and the stomach get full it could lead to grastric torsion.

The answer is to soak it first in a hand full test not for the dog and check how much it expands say in a small bowl.
chileanborder
New Member!
Male 

21-12-2017, 12:53 PM
Thank you all for the answers! I did actually missed the "adult weight" part.

I am feeding him 150 grams / day, breakfast and dinner. It's summer here in Chile and with the high temperatures (peak of 30-32 C) he's not hungry at lunch and does not touch the food.

He's also a picky eater, he gets distracted so we need to be o top of him for meals...he plays A LOT during the day and I take him out for a 30' walk twice a day. And still has a lot of drive.
chileanborder
New Member!
Male 

21-12-2017, 12:54 PM
Sorry, I misscalculated. He will turn 3 months this Christmas.
chileanborder
New Member!
Male 

21-12-2017, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
On average puppies eat twice as much as an adult dog so that they grow correctly. But they must not have lots of strenuous exercise outside of the house/garden. The rule of thumb for exercise outside of the house/garden is 5 minutes for month of age until at least 9 months so that their limbs and muscles have grown properly. I would be feeding at least 200 to 300 grammes a day but your pup will tell you if he is hungry or not at each meal. Spread the meal times over at least 4 times per day and don't give strenuous exercise until at least half an hour has passed after eating. Make sure that you put a little warm water on the food to make the aroma come out. Pups and adult dogs go by the smell of food not the taste as a rule.
Bit confused about the age that you have given: You start off with 6 weeks and then say 3 months? Either way the amounts I have suggested should help. Did you see his parents? That will give you a guide to go by as to how large he will be when fully grown.
Sorry, I misscalculated. He will turn 3 months this Christmas.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2017, 02:48 PM
To me it looks like the 150 g should be the daily amount so if you are feeding 2 meals per day each should be 75 g.

At 12 weeks, I would have thought that he should be having 3 meals per day in which case each meal would be50 g
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >