Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2014, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
Interesting re aspirin and Tramadol; what is the dosage for those please?

I know for dogs of the size collie is a baby aspirin is fine. Cannot get baby aspirin off prescription here but can cut them.
Aspirin is an NSAID whereas Tramadol is an opiate. Tramadol does not usually work well by itself and is more for chronic pain sufferers who'd be harmed by the side effects of NSAIDS in the long term. Arthritis, irreparable muscle damage, etc. Not broken bones, falls, or crush injuries per se.

That being said, if the cat does not have an acute problem, you probably should avoid NSAIDS for the most part. They really are not safe for cats and should be used as little as possible. If the Tramadol isn't working on the maximum dose, start with a slightly smaller dose for the animals size and see if that does the trick.

Tramadol doesn't usually react with any other drugs, so it's safe to give normal doses of that along with the Tramadol from what I read. Might like to read up a bit for yourself though
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2014, 04:15 PM
Vet called me and I am taking her there tomorrow if no improvement. However five mins after vet called (of course) she perked up!

She has now eaten a small meal.

Pets huh! who'd 'ave 'em? Huh!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2014, 04:51 PM
Updating to say when I got back from walking Bella just now she was out of her bed and lying in the doorway looking out at the garden. Eaten a tiny bit more food and welcomed being fussed and stroked.

Phew!
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2014, 06:23 PM
I'm glad Alfina is perking up a little. Sounds like her painkillers had fully worn off and she just wanted left along for a while.

Mocha did this when she was moved from April's to our house, she was okay for a little while then just wanted me to leave her alone and made her feelings plain...resulting in a lot of scratches round my arms.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2014, 07:36 PM
I am glad she is feeling a bit better and she obviously is as she has been the loo eaten and moved location.

I would have been concerned too, they worry you don't they get right under your skin. Cats are sensible though in most part.

Glad she is a bit better.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2014, 08:09 PM
Pat I have only just seen this and am sorry to hear Alfi hasn't been too good, although pleased to just read she has perked up a bit.

A couple of days after my Lyla was spayed she went very quiet and just wanted me to sit so she could lay with me. Sonething wasn't right but her wound looked nice and wasn't red or hot. I took her to the vets and although nothing was obvious apart from her being quiet, the vet said it could be the start of an infection inside. She was given a long acting antibiotic injection and 24 hrs later was back to normal.

Hopefully thats not Alfi's problem and she is just feeling a bit off and tired because her little body has been through so much recently.

I hope she continues to improve, its so worrying when they are not right. Please give her a little cuddle from me.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2014, 10:37 AM
Thanks to all for their good wishes.

Well, I did take her back to the vet after all earlier today as, although she had crept out and eaten some kibble she definitely wasn't 'right' and her tummy looked black and blue. She howled loudly all the way there in the carrier! Also, although she is improved over what she was like yesterday, I don't want another sleepless night wishing I had taken her or scared to take my eyes off her!

Vet says she looks as if she injured it leaping about or jumping down from somewhere and landing hard and that there's a big blood vessel running along there and she is still producing milk which doesn't help (and that he prefers the animals to stay calm and quiet after ops but that it is really down to the animal to do that!)

He also said he thinks the combination of her being given freedom out of a cage for the first time for a month and 'looking for her kittens' and a possible new mate with the 6wk season kicking in all contributed to her going a bit nutso to begin with.

He said she has no temperature and it is just haematoma and has given her a long acting antibio just in case and some painkiller. Also gave me 3 tins of what is like a soft pate - very delicious to her to coax her to eat a bit more.

So she's back home and had a little wander and a little lie smack bang in the middle of the room (so Bella won't walk past her lol) and now back in her basket sleeping.

She wasn't as hissy or bitey/scratchy this morning so I am hoping that means she wasn't in as much pain or discomfort. Though as vet said - she only does 'soft biting' to warn you - a very good cat!

He is very pleased with her leg.

Kittens still haven't got new homes. I donated a huge bag of kitten food to help with their keep.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2014, 11:06 AM
I hope she is soon bright and feeling better Pat. Poor girl has been through so much. I just want her to start being able to feel normal and to start enjoying her lovely life with you.

I am surprised the kittens havn't found homes yet, but that was very nice of you to donate a bag of food for them. If they find homes as good as their mum has then they will all be very lucky happy little cats.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-05-2014, 12:37 PM
Glad to hear she's perking up again.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2014, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I hope she is soon bright and feeling better Pat. Poor girl has been through so much. I just want her to start being able to feel normal and to start enjoying her lovely life with you.

I am surprised the kittens havn't found homes yet, but that was very nice of you to donate a bag of food for them. If they find homes as good as their mum has then they will all be very lucky happy little cats.
I've put photos of them on bf and in the pets columns of local forums. Have also been going halves with mad 2legged Alfie to pay for their cut price boarding at the vets. Don't even want to THINK about if they don't find homes. Alfie and I have offered to pay the cost of spaying and vaccs for them if someone gives them a home.

4 legged Alfi has really enjoyed this superfood pate stuff I got from the vet and has come over to lie down (on one of Bella's bed cushions ooops) near me.

Nowhere near as worried about her now. She's doing what she should have done from day one RESTING! Stupid little moggy!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3