View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-05-2014, 09:33 AM
I think she's probably in pain, when Rio (admittedly a dog) had that growth in her mouth she spent the whole time trying to sleep, didn't like anyone near her etc and wouldn't eat and drink. Until we got some Tramadol from the vet (who rather ironically warned she'd probably be dopey on them) She livened up instantly and became the Rio we knew so well and was interested in everything again.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2014, 09:36 AM
Thanks Trouble. As she isn't unconscious or whimpering in pain or anything I will leave her be for the time being. Then ask the vet if he thinks she could have some pain from the spay site or even the leg repairs now that she's been on no meds or GAs for about 4 days.

No idea what you could give a cat for pain. Never had a 'sick' cat. They lived long and healthy lives until they died in their late teens.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2014, 09:41 AM
Ah that sounds hopeful. Bless her. The thing is we cannot imagine the pain and distress this little mite has been through over the last few weeks. Lets hope that she is going to take her feed from how Bella reacts and so she will settle into a neat little family trait. Wishing her well very soon.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-05-2014, 09:43 AM
No I don't know what you'd give a cat in pain either and nor would I want to try and give an uncooperative cat medication. Gimme a dog any day It could well be either the leg or the spay and whatever pain killers she was given at the time have worn off. As long as she shows no signs of illness I'd let her sleep. The worry will be if she won't eat and drink.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2014, 10:05 AM
What is funny is that Bella (who knows she is just inside the sliding doors crashed in her big cat basket) will not come in past her - even though the cat is flaked out! Perhaps she is thinking it's an 'ambush' because the cat isn't hissing at her?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2014, 10:41 AM
We give little Blue a tiny bit of Aspirin. It's safe for cats and it truly helps when she's got something going on. She's gotten injured a few times lately and it does help her. We take a pill cutter and break it up into tiny little bits and hand her a little bit.

She semi recently fell off a bed (it was Nigredo's fault ) and was limping badly. Gave her a tiny bit of Aspirin and she laid down and went to sleep and when she woke up was walking much better.

Aspirin is really the only medicine you can give cats, and even it can be toxic if given in the wrong dosages.

"The recommended dosage for cats is 5 mg per pound (.45 kg) of body weight every 48 to 72 hours. One adult aspirin tablet (324 mg) is eight times the recommended dosage for an 8-pound (3.6 kg) cat."

Found that on petMD.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2014, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
We give little Blue a tiny bit of Aspirin. It's safe for cats and it truly helps when she's got something going on. She's gotten injured a few times lately and it does help her. We take a pill cutter and break it up into tiny little bits and hand her a little bit.

She semi recently fell off a bed (it was Nigredo's fault ) and was limping badly. Gave her a tiny bit of Aspirin and she laid down and went to sleep and when she woke up was walking much better.

Aspirin is really the only medicine you can give cats, and even it can be toxic if given in the wrong dosages.

"The recommended dosage for cats is 5 mg per pound (.45 kg) of body weight every 48 to 72 hours. One adult aspirin tablet (324 mg) is eight times the recommended dosage for an 8-pound (3.6 kg) cat."

Found that on petMD.
Interesting re aspirin and Tramadol; what is the dosage for those please?

I know for dogs of the size collie is a baby aspirin is fine. Cannot get baby aspirin off prescription here but can cut them.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2014, 03:39 PM
Vet phoned me before I could phone him. He says not to worry but bring her in tomorrow if she is no brighter.

gawd pets huh.

I am SURE I put CAT! on the title of this thread. Are they so keen to edit them they are taking bit off as well as putting them on?
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2014, 03:45 PM
Been through so much,bless her but is in safe hands,no question Fingers crossed she's just resting and healing(( hugs))
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2014, 03:53 PM
OH THANK THE LORD! It's almost 7pm here and I was making myself some toast when I heard 'scratching'.

She'd got herself outside to use her cat tray. Bless her.

I've just put down about 10 tiny bits of kibble right in front of her as she climbed out of the tray (praising her all the while) and she ATE THEM!

First food she has eaten today (after being a total glutton since I took her in)

PHEW!

Vet called me earlier to check on her and said if no difference take her in tomorrow. Maybe I won't have to now?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >