register for free

Dog News

'Out-of-control' German Shepherd dog 'clamped jaws on teenage girl's breast'

A dog with a history of biting clamped its jaws on a teenager’s breast, a court heard yesterday.

Beattie McGuinness, 19, said German shepherd Skye’s jaws were closed on her breast for five seconds before owner Michelle Gibson got the animal away.

Gibson, 51, insisted the dog jumped up at Beattie and scratched her breast when it was pulled away, the Daily Record reported.

But she was convicted of owning a dog that was dangerously out of control.
Sheriff John McCormack told Gibson, of Dumbarton Road in the west end of Glasgow, that she had a “blinkered attitude” to the dangers of her dog.

He granted an order for Skye to be put down and deferred sentence on Gibson until next month.

He said of Beattie: “Her evidence was particularly compelling. She was articulate, credible and reliable.”

Article here...

And once again a dog pays the price for an ignorant owner.

Your comments and views:
Azz
Administrator
Male 

27-05-2014, 07:39 AM
Hmmmm really? A GSD's jaws clamped shut for 5 seconds would have taken a chunk out not just left a scratch imo...
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-05-2014, 08:26 AM
That is what I thought Azz, but the news article said... and the poor dog is the one who has paid the price.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2014, 08:43 AM
Yeah, I don't think that dog was "out of control". All the people who claimed to have been bitten by it are her family members or people who know her well. I think they just had it in for the dog and were determined to get rid of it.

“Her evidence was particularly compelling. She was articulate, credible and reliable.”

What a GARBAGE and RANDOM thing to say! I don't like this article, I think there is something we're not seeing. It's lacking evidence, as well.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

27-05-2014, 11:19 AM
Azz I know you think I'm cynical (Well truth is I think I'm cynical!!) but this is just the beginning.

The new law allows legal people to advertise to the dum, glued to telly masses, and tell them to come forward and claim damages and you won't have to pay a penny.

What do you think these dumb, TV addicted, idiots are going to do Sit back or phone up and have a chance of getting 'something for nothing' !!

Society is going mad and the law is encouraging people to stand up in court and lie there's just no other way to explain it.

As Maklka has said, it's the dog who has paid the price, the girl meanwhile has already spent the damages she'll receive on what I dare not say.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-05-2014, 01:28 PM
I think if ANY dog, not just a GSD, got hold of someone's boobs there would be a lot more damage than a scratch.
Having said that, my girls will get hold of my wrist, say, very gently, if I am raking them and tug them accidentally and it hurts, then they get hold of me. They could quite easily take my wrist off if they felt like it, but they don't. So maybe it was a case of more like mouthing, thats been misinterpreted.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2014, 01:49 PM
Elsie caught me the other day (she is learning to be gentle but occasionally puppy enthusiasm over comes her) resulted in a big bruise - my bra saved me I think. Perhaps his woman had a good strong bra that protected her. Or perhaps it was a scratch. Whatever it was the dog sadly paid the price.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2014, 03:22 PM
Julie. Glad you posted that. I have owned a GSD who 'attacked' someone. She only smacked her hard sideways with her snout but it did bring up nasty bruising etc. on her thigh. And I was in deep doo dah about it at the time.

It's not always the case that a big powerful dog has to exert the maximum pounds per sq. inch pressure with their jaws if they 'go for someone'. They can (fortunately in my case mentioned above) still 'go for them' without causing any real damage.

I've owned big powerful dogs and know this. I've also owned and still do own much tinier dogs and sick of people saying 'if they REALLY meant it the dog would be dead'.

Not every 'attack' by a big dog has to be a LETHAL attack or one that is meant to KILL the victim.

But it's so often trotted out by (some) big dog owners as proof that their dog meant no harm or (and my favourite NOT) 'only wanted to play'.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top