Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Toller
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-10-2017, 07:48 PM

When is old old enough?

Our Toller is 16.6 years old. They normally live to about 12.
She has been deaf for about 3 years. Her eyesight is failing and she can't find her frisbee 4' away. She gets really spooked by a lot of things, since they are pretty much all surprises, and you have to approach her slowly from the front.
She has fatty lumps all over her body, growths on her eyes, and sores that don't heal on her mouth and feet.
Although she still walks a half mile a day, she has trouble with her footing and falls often. I think it is just a matter of time until she breaks a leg.
She occasionally has tremors.
And she really hates our 8 month old puppy. It is entirely the puppies fault (and I suppose ours, for not keeping them completely apart, but that is difficult.) but still... (six months ago we didn't think she had much more time, and a puppy was available. It was a big mistake)

On the other hand...
The vet says her heart and everything he can measure is good and she might live another couple years.
She still enjoys smelling stuff on her walks, being pet, and usually eats well.

She has been a marvelous pet all these years and we want to treat her fairly. I am just unsure what that is.
Any advice here would be appreciated.
Bulldogs4Life
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2017, 08:51 PM
I say make her last years as comfortable as possible, give her the time and attention she needs. I'd not make her interact with the young dog as best as possible. Just give her peace, walks and love.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-10-2017, 09:43 PM
I personally don't think it's about "old enough" it's a quality of life issue not an age issue. Dogs if we're lucky get old and we need to adapt to their changing needs. You should be training your puppy to leave her alone, not pester or harass her but be gentle with her. It shouldn't be necessary to completely separate them but give her a secure space. I'm going through something similar with my cat, he's 12 and until last year was very active but last year was struck by the feline herpes virus which has caused him to have one eye removed and lose his sight in the other eye. I have considered pts but he's happy and still adjusting to his changed circumstances. He bumps into things and jumps unless i give him plenty of warning that I'm about to touch him but he's so affectionate, still mixes with the dogs etc but the dogs have been taught to be very respectful, not to crowd him etc and one on one he loves their company. If he was miserable and had no interest in life and the household I would pts but that's not today in fact it may be years away.
Your dog sounds as though she is still enjoying what life she has, so let her be and train your pup to leave her be.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-10-2017, 02:04 AM
It's such a difficult decision to make .
She is still eating and showing an interest in life so if she were my dog I would not put her to sleep yet,
Dogs at this age can go down hill very quickly , I think you will know when the time comes.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2017, 06:32 AM
Totally agree with Trouble.

Xx gnasher
Toller
Dogsey Junior
Male 

31-10-2017, 12:41 PM
When the puppy was young she pestered Jessie constantly and we had to divide the house in two. Recently it hasn't been nearly as bad and we have let them be together.
UNTIL Chloe went into heat. Then it got very bad and we had to pen Jessie off to protect her. Hopefully it will go back to how it was before.

I don't know how I would go about teaching Chloe to leave Jessie alone. She will back off if I tell her to, but if I am not watching them....
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

31-10-2017, 12:54 PM
The same way you teach " Leave it" for anything else.
Toller
Dogsey Junior
Male 

31-10-2017, 12:58 PM
If she picks up a stick, she will put it down if I tell her "leave it", but I don't know how to stop her from picking it up.

That was one great thing about Jessie; she would do what she thought we would want her to. Chloe is not so thoughtful.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

31-10-2017, 01:07 PM
Sorry it's called training. Start with something easy like a gravy bone, they want it but you have to teach them they can't have it till you say it's ok. Put the gravy bone or whatever on the floor and tell her to leave it, if she goes to grab it quickly cover it with your hand or foot and repeat over and over, only letting her have it when you say ok. The skill once learnt is transferable to infinite situations. I'm currently painting my lounge, I have 7 dogs all watching my every move but not once have they approached because they've been told to leave it. They don't have to think about it, they've been told and that's enough for them. I do break it up by making a fuss and playing a few games every time I stop for a drink or need a wee and then it's back to work and they can look but can't touch. I'd be crazy by now if my dogs did as they saw fit.
Toller
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-11-2017, 02:12 AM
She had 4 seizures last night and the vet said it was pretty hopeless. So we put her to sleep this morning.
She had a great walk yesterday; can't ask for more than that.
She was a great companion for 16 years.

This picture is from about 3 months ago.
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jessie.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	5770  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >