View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Forgotten
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-10-2017, 08:24 AM
I never spay unless it is a medical emergency!
I would certainly not be persuaded by my vet to spay so early (this is a good income for them. )
Our dogs need to grow and mature with all their hormones intact and at least have their first season, whatever age this might be !
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2017, 08:29 AM
Quite agree Forgotten.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-10-2017, 09:17 AM
What is wrong with giving the poor dog time to grow and develop for God's sake.
Markie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-10-2017, 12:13 AM
At the vet clinic I work at we don't spay tell they are a year old so they can grow and develop. With that said none of my dogs are fixed all seven of my huskies are intact it doesn't ever seem to be a problem.
Toller
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-10-2017, 10:09 PM
Well, she is now in heat. It started at 7.5 months. Her littermate started the next day, and an older sister started the same day. They are just like clockwork. (her mother is now spayed...)

The breeder recommends that we spay her before the second heat. Her mother and older sisters went into heat every 7 months; so how long do you think we can wait to be sure of getting it in before the 2nd heat? I am thinking January.

Just as a point of reference; neither she nor her littermate have gained any weight in 6 weeks, and the are the same size as their older sister. I am thinking they are pretty well grown, so another 3 months ought to be adequate. Don't you think?

I can see from the replies that most you don't spay at all; but that doesn't work for us. Our other dog is 16.5 and has no issues despite being spayed at 6 months.
shaggydog
New Member!
Male 

19-11-2017, 06:35 AM
There are many opinions of timing. But one I read from Karen Becker is spaying too early makes other adrenal organs to compensate for the lack of the ovaries. So it may be better, as per her, to wait for completion of body development before desexing.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-11-2017, 12:03 PM
I would not spay until a dog has had it's first season - and then three months on from that. If done too early there are risks later on in life. This link explains:- See piece about early spaying of females.

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-11-2017, 12:30 PM
Just noticed your post Toller - sorry for missing it. As you probably know her season will last about 3 weeks. When it is finished the optimum time is 3 months on, so three months on from beginning of November would mean end of January (as you say) should be just about right. Best wishes.
k9maxie
New Member!
Male 

20-01-2018, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
I would not spay until a dog has had it's first season - and then three months on from that. This link explains:- See piece about early spaying of females.

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf
That's a very interesting read! I have owned bitches for over 25 years and for the majority of that time I adopted the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy (in other words, was against spaying). Until one of my girls contracted pyometra, and my attitude changed. I was always led to believe the best time to spay was to wait for the first season, then another 3 months after that, which is consequently what I did with my dogs following the pyo incident.

I have another puppy on the way so this topic is of particular interest to me at the moment, and this has definitely settled the argument for me.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2018, 03:26 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Early spaying a guaranteed money maker for vets as they benefit financially from the problems caused later in life. If the highest risk factor is 9% then 91% is no risk.
Agree that I don't spay unless medically necessary.
Not all Vets - mine refuses to spay bitches until after their first season
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2