Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adamyork
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-03-2014, 11:06 AM

DNA test results

When I got kaya I was told th was Gsd x collie x Akita, she doesn't really look like any of those breeds so a few weeks ago I decided to have her dna tested to find out.

the results came and it turns out shes Gsd x lab x rottweiler x greyhound, i was suprised but i can definatly see the lab in her and she did look like a black gsd pup and she runs like shes got greyhound in her,

These tests are not 100% accurate and might even be a total con so im going to do it again under a different name and see what happens,

Has anyone else done this?
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2014, 11:08 AM
No, but out of interest are they expensive?

Would be good to see if you got the same results second time around
Adamyork
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-03-2014, 11:20 AM
It was about £40 on offer from amazon, they send two swabs which I had to rub around the inside of her cheek then send them to the company and a few weeks later they sent me the results, I used a company called wisdom panel after seeing it on those bbc dog documentarys a few months ago but there are other companies that are a bit cheaper I think
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-03-2014, 11:34 AM
Personally I would not do it as Pereg is probably a mixture of dozens of breeds and she is the Pereg that I love.

However, what would you do if you repeat the test under a different name and you get a totally different result?
Adamyork
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-03-2014, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Personally I would not do it as Pereg is probably mixture of dozens of breeds and she is the Pereg that I love.

However, what would you do if you repeat the test under a different name and you get a totally different result?
It doesn't bother me what breeds she is but if the results are totally different ill make sure every one knows that they are con artists
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-03-2014, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Adamyork View Post
It doesn't bother me what breeds she is but if the results are totally different ill make sure every one knows that they are con artists
Good for you!
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2014, 03:08 PM
Keep us all informed then
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2014, 05:35 PM
I remember reading somewhere that these either aren't all that reliable or aren't all that trustworthy?

After all, they could tell you anything if you don't know for a fact yourself what mixes were in your dog couldn't they!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2014, 05:38 PM
Well I went off to google these DNA tests and it seems there are many different companies offering them.

I also found this - you might find this interesting

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-f...where-26256459

Authorities in Jerusalem will begin DNA testing the city's dogs to track down owners who don't clean up their pet's mess, it's been reported.

In a city with an estimated 11,000 dogs, fouling in public spaces is already an offence - and health risk - and authorities say forensic testing of dog poo will help them enforce the rules. The goal is "not to increase fines for dog owners, but to reduce the dog droppings hazard," the Jerusalem Post reports.

Jerusalem joins a handful of other municipalities willing to spend public money tracking down errant dog owners. In 2011, a Tel Aviv suburb claimed they would be the first to pass a dog DNA-testing law, saying they would collect samples when animals were brought in for their annual rabies inoculation.
Of course that just involves matching a DNA sample to those they've taken and have on file. Not deciphering all the breeds in a mixed breed dog from a sample of DNA sent in.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2014, 05:43 PM
Old article here from a guy who got different results from two different DNA Test companies

http://www.mnn.com/family/pets/blogs...ey-really-work
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >