Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 06:51 PM

Fruit and veg ideas needed

what fruit and veg can I give my dog ??

if their are any I cant why not? What doess it do????

Ive found out apples are safe my puppy loves them she likes brocolli, garlic and carrots i like putting things in her food so she grows accustommed to it and wont get suspicious when i give her worming tablets
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
what fruit and veg can I give my dog ??

if their are any I cant why not? What doess it do????

Ive found out apples are safe my puppy loves them she likes brocolli, garlic and carrots i like putting things in her food so she grows accustommed to it and wont get suspicious when i give her worming tablets
You can give your dog ALL fruit and vegetables bar:

Onion (causes Heinz-body hemolytic anemia)
avocado (contains fungicidal toxin)
grapes (including raisins.) kidney damage and death

If fed whole, they act as fibre, to get any nutritional benefit the fruit and veg needs to be either pureed raw or cooked.

Some fruits and vegetables are high in sugar and of course are laxative.so feed in moderation.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 06:13 AM
bananasall right??
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 06:22 AM
Banana's are good yes! They love raw carrots too, and they're great for teething problems if you freeze them.

Any cooked veggies are ok with food, just steer well clear of the onion family, and garlic should only be fed in small amounts because this does belong to the onion gang. I feed brocolli, carrots, sweet potato, peas, runner beans, cabbage etc. but only in small amounts each time, just to add the interest and fibre.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 06:56 AM
She likes bannanas gave her some for breakfast the morning instead of her usuall alternatives porrige or rice pudding just to be different she likes almost everything ive given her accept egg! wasnt so keen about that one but everything else she is has devoured eagerly ^^
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 07:23 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
She likes bannanas gave her some for breakfast the morning instead of her usuall alternatives porrige or rice pudding just to be different she likes almost everything ive given her accept egg! wasnt so keen about that one but everything else she is has devoured eagerly ^^
Milk is not necesssarily a great thing to give dogs, it does not contain anything that commercial dog food does not or feeding raw does not; calcium is more appropriately provided by these means.

The problem with milk is that no species bar man consumes milk post weaning and many dogs do not possess the digestive enzymes (lactase) to digest the milk sugar (lactose) properly which can lead to diarrhoea etc. Also many dogs are intolerant to milk protein (casein).

Bananas are a source of prebiotics which have a synergistic effect with probiotics so if your dog is ill to replace the good gut flora, a smoothie made from live yoghurt and banana is pretty good.

My dogs get fruit and vegetables every day; they are fed raw and so is the fruit and veg, pureed so that valuable phytonutrients and neutraceuticals are available to them.

In a few months they will amuse themselves blackberrying!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 11:34 AM
i feed veg to mine. i buy the value frozen bags from tesco at £1 each, and then mash them into the food they have chunks of veg if im cooking something, which they like to munch on too
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
i feed veg to mine. i buy the value frozen bags from tesco at £1 each, and then mash them into the food they have chunks of veg if im cooking something, which they like to munch on too
Lol, those value bags are great aren't they?

I give Rupert cabbage, peas, carrots, apple, banana, pear and pretty much anything I'm eating. I've discovered that he doesn't like tomato or lettuce though, he just spits them out.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Lol, those value bags are great aren't they?

I give Rupert cabbage, peas, carrots, apple, banana, pear and pretty much anything I'm eating. I've discovered that he doesn't like tomato or lettuce though, he just spits them out.
those bags are the main source of my dogs veg they last ages for my two as well definately worth a quid! asbo loves tomatoes, particularly whole cherry ones which he can munch on
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
those bags are the main source of my dogs veg they last ages for my two as well definately worth a quid! asbo loves tomatoes, particularly whole cherry ones which he can munch on
Lol, I buy them for myself as well as Rupert. Hubby only likes peas and carrots but I like other veg so just buy the value bags.

We used to have raspberries growing in the garden when we had Shadow. None of us got a chance at the things! Shadow would pick them with his front teeth and eat them.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >