Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2010, 05:18 PM

Deer antler

I have a deer antler which a friend once brought from Scotland. It fell off the shelf when I was rumaging for a book and Scoop started chewing it with great relish. I felt bad taking it off her in a way, apart from not wanting it damaged, didn't know if it was safe for her to eat. Have just seen(after online search) they are being sold as dog chews(bit ironic really ) does anyone give deer antler to their dogs and do they like them?
Many thanks
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Lots of dogs who are around stables relish eating the hoof trimmings when the farrier visits.

As far as I know none of them have come to harm from it but there is always the freak accident - someone I knew lost their Neo Mastiff when he choked to death on a Markie biscuit while his owner was out

I believe the deer themselves often eat fallen antlers, to recycle the minerals in them (although of course deer are very different to dogs).
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Thankyou, there must be something good/nutritional in them then? I know dogs find old bones(very old sometimes) n still chew on them but just wondered. It is awful about the markie biscuit
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
Thankyou, there must be something good/nutritional in them then? I know dogs find old bones(very old sometimes) n still chew on them but just wondered. It is awful about the markie biscuit
Hard antler (as opposed to the soft, growing antler when it is covered with "velvet" or skin) has a similar composition to bone, which includes calcium and phospherous.

Yes the biscuit was tragic, sometimes, with the best will in the world, accidents still happen
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Have just ordered an antler for dog chew to try, am hoping it will be ok.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2010, 04:53 PM
I bought antler chews for mine, my two aren't that keen but foster doggy loves hers -

I've just left them lying around for my two and they'll pick them up for a little gnaw here and there but don't go for it with gusto like they do bones/pizzle.
Got one for my mum's puppy which I'm dropping around tonight so we'll see how it goes down with her. I've heard mixed reviews, some dogs love 'em, some dogs are indifferent.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Thankyou, that's interesting to know, don't want to upset her stomach but is difficult to find something that's ok. Thankyou for posting the photo too, she looks a lovely dog and enjoying the antler.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Cain's Stagbar arrived today and Cain couldn't wait to get in the envelope! He want mad for it and is chewing on it like crazy right now but hasn't made too much of s dent yet

the packaging says it's great for dogs with sensitive tums. Things like rawhide really upset Cain, he has a delicate tum so I'll let you know how it goes.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Cain's Stagbar arrived today and Cain couldn't wait to get in the envelope! He want mad for it and is chewing on it like crazy right now but hasn't made too much of s dent yet

the packaging says it's great for dogs with sensitive tums. Things like rawhide really upset Cain, he has a delicate tum so I'll let you know how it goes.
Thankyou, Cain certainly looks happy Am still waiting for delivery of Scoops Stagbar but all sounds very encouraging, have ordered the medium size one but not sure of how big it will be(in inches roughly). Can't wait for it to arrive n see what she makes of it, will be interesting to see how they get on
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Thanks to Kylry I'm waiting for mine to arrive! I read up about them on the site I bought them and they're natural with a nice marrow inside them, so I'm hoping the dogs will love them, and I'm also hoping I might get at least 30 mins of peace around here???? Maybe that's hoping a bit too much!!!
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »