Our sister sites
Our sister sites
greatbarnet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-08-2014, 09:13 AM

How long does judging last per dog?

Hi

I am going to an Open Show in a couple of weeks but there are eleven other breeds up in our ring before my class.

I know there are many variables but people don't all arrive for the 9:30 start, so how do you work out what time to get there please? Last year they put some extra times in the booklet ('not before 12:30' etc) but they haven't this year and I really don't want to be waiting around for hours if I can help it.

Thanks!!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2014, 09:52 AM
They probably haven't put times in this year because it didn't work last year.

Judging is supposed to take, I think, 2 minutes per dog, so depending on how many dogs are entered in the other breeds & more importantly how many turn up, judging takes as long or as short as the number of dogs & speed of the judge.

Might be worth contacting the secretary to get a rough idea of the entry, but I would err on the side of caution
greatbarnet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-08-2014, 10:13 AM
Well yes, you're right there. I got there at midday last year and still waited for a couple of hours! Thanks, the 2 minute thing rings a bell I think, someone may have said that to me before but I'd forgotten. The entries will be published beforehand so hopefully I can get an idea of numbers and work something out.
Fourlegz
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-08-2014, 10:43 AM
Depending on the type of show, in my experience which is mainly fun/companion, it can vary enormously not least down to the judge.
The secretaries are usually very helpful if you have queries though.
What's the show?
Good luck!
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2014, 04:49 PM
Remember being at an all breed championship show and the judge judge 7 dogs in 5 minutes. Hardly touched the dogs and left us all a bit bemused
greatbarnet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-08-2014, 07:22 AM
Thanks. It's the West Country Dog Club show. But I'm also thinking of entering him at the breed champ show and have a question about classes so I'll start a new thread for that!