View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
LittleMonkies
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Mine are 90% enjoyable. The stress occasionally comes if one or both of them decide it's not hometime when I do at which point I just walk them for a bit longer to tire them out and make it easier. That side of it is usually only stressful if I'm in a bad mood! The other bad bit is not really understanding Max at the mo and not knowing what will make him try to nip.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
You need to move. And so do I come to think of it -- the South East commuter belt is on par with London these days.

Moobli's location becomes more and more attractive by the day.

Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I'll go halves!

Well we need an Assistant Shepherd ... so who is going to apply?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
If I can avoid people with offlead dogs then my walks are not stressful at all, but 99% of offlead dogs I do unfortunately meet, if I decide I want to go across a field instead of pounding the pavements round the local buisness park, have no recall (if the owner even attempts to call them) and either run over growling at mine or leap all over them which they hate..
I want to swap homes with moobli.
Apply for the position Madmare Although all of you who wish to live here might change your minds when we get yet another bad winter
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Stressful for the most part. Too many other dogs for it to be anything but. And living in a flat in a built up area and unable to drive means I have no choice about where and when to walk. If Rupert needs out then out for a walk we go, even if it is doggy rush hour out there at the time.

To be fair, it's not been so bad in Germany. Law requires dogs to be kept on leash where we are and so far we've only encountered one person who doesn't feel this applies to them and the dog is under control so it's not been an issue.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Mine are good atm. The dogs are amenable and the train staff know not to get too close.
I`ve learned where not to go at certain times - like I avoid certain places when they`re likely to be crowded.
And with 2 big dogs we don`t get stroppy ones pushing their luck.
The only thing that annoys me is the reaction of spoiled children seeking attention by announcing Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I Don`t Like Dogs! and the subsequent clutchings to the maternal bosom and glares of disapproval. If only I could learn to ignore that, our walks would be just about perfect.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2011, 11:43 AM
Great thread, interesting to hear I'm not alone!

I'm 50/50 too. The first walk with Georgie is a pain. Firstly he always poo's in the car on the way up there, which sends Zena berserk in the back, so I have to stop and clear that up half way to our walk (he can't help it, he's old, he gets excited, he's probably incontinent so we're lucky he never does it indoors, the car is fine!).

Anyhoo, as soon as we arrive, I let them out, Georgie wanders off in dreamland somewhere, and has another poo, but he walks along doing it. Meanwhile, I'm trying to get Zena under control, watching out for any loose dogs around, whilst hunting for the poo bag to go and sort out Georgie's deposits. Off we go, Georgie then stops to sniff, Zena wants to get going and explore and give me her ball to throw, so it's always "coooooome on George, cooooome on Georgie" I'm fed up of going back downhill to get him and then doing the same hike back up, so I now leave him until he panics enough to see we've gone off without him, so we wait for him to catch up. Then I have to give him a rest coz he's been running uphill So Zena gets her ball chucked a couple of times. Off we go again, and Georgie gets in front of me on a wide track, and he zig zags, looking behind to see whether or not he's tripped me up yet so I move 5 feet over to another part of the track, and over he comes, back in front of me, so I run in front of HIM, and what does he do? He comes and runs past me so he can get right in front of me again lol! Stressed? Nah! That's just the first 10 minutes!

My 2nd walk is fantastic, no hanging about, I can actually get going as soon as we step out of the car, but then I have to watch out for idiot peops with horrible dogs offlead who might come charging over. Eyes in the back of my head, but thankfully, I don't see that many people on my 2nd walk or many dogs, and if I do, I can always avoid them by changing my route, which is no big deal for me. I love this 2nd walk, I'm totally relaxed, and everything is under control if a dog does come over to us, because I only have the one dog who actually listens to me, whereas when I have Georgie with me and a dog comes over to us, although he would never hurt one no matter how aggressive it might get with him, I would have to go over to him to drag him away from it coz he's a bit of a wanderer is old Georgie and he likes people and dogs and has gone totally deaf on me nowadays.

It's a real pleasure this dog walking isn't it!!!
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2011, 11:43 AM
Mixture of both really, depending on where and what time of day, but mainly depending on what other dogs/dog owners are about. The stressful part is when dogs that are off lead and their owners have no control over them, come charging towards us. Poppy does not like to be sniffed too much and gets in a panic. I get annoyed when the owners don't re-call their dogs or make any effort to take control of their dogs.

Poppy does not go off lead, she partially deaf and her re-call is not great, plus I would worry that if another dog was pestering her while she was off lead, she would run.

We've taken to walking down by the canal in the evening, seems more peaceful.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Mine can be a mix of both, ainly because I have 3 young dogs that are very different.
Flint is good on the lead, but can flip if another dog is seen, especially if it barks! which can then send flint and simba a bit crazy and scrappy.

Simba is getting alot better now but can sometimes be very jumpy on walks, i mean like literally jumping around with excitment lol

Gemma pulls, but we're working on it!
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Normally enjoyable - finding getting used to walking two a bit more of an issue though (lots of untangling of leads and trying to go in two directions at once as both find an interesting sniff at the same time).

This morning's (currently on more short walks than less long onces to sort the couch potato woof out) was a blooming nightmare - thanks to a terrier terror named Trevor and an out of control ball of husky named Skoda.

Terrier was just rampaging everywhere (and if I had a small terrier the thing I would NOT be letting it do is run up to an on-lead muzzled greyhound) with owner yelling "trev trev if you don't come back 'ere I'm gonna kill you, trev come 'ere, trevOOOOOORRRRR!" and complaining life's got even harder now she's got the puppy (gorgeous lil german shepherd but gawd I can imagine what a bundle of joy that'll be if it follows the pattern of its Uncle Trev) and then the Husky (most around our way are utterly lovely but this one's a consistent pain in the bum) on the rampage as well.

So that one was a bit more interesting! Add in the bunny factor - the dog that goes nuts over bunnies is NOT the one you'd expect and if you have him off lead you get hours of him jumping up and down at the base of trees trying to persuade squirrels to fall out and play with him... and me nearly busting my ankle on rabbit holes (and at one point I managed to drop my car keys down one which took 3 hours to find again)!
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Enjoyable. might have the odd moment, but always enjoyable.
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >