Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Or giant breeds with the large breed food. Rupert sometimes struggles to get the normal kibble between his teeth to crunch it and he's only Lab size. I'd imagine something like a Mastiff or St Bernard would benefit from bigger pieces.
Indeed.

We've just dog-sitted a Shih Tzu - he is fed on Royal Canin mini adult because of the smaller pieces. He struggled with the regular sized kibble. Not saying that's the case for all, but it certainly was for him.

I'm definitely trying the smaller kibble when the stuff I've got is done. Handy for taking on walks etc too.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
They have managed fine before now

Helen
Not all of them have. I know a few different dogs of different breeds fed on large/small breed kibble. Some due to problems with the size of the kibble, some due to simple what the owner has brought for their small/large breed dog.

I also have a friend with a Boxer who has very bad issues with his mouth (can't remember the condition, but it's to do with cysts growing over his teeth). As it happens, the shaped kibble Royal Canin do, for example, is the only kibble she has found that he can get a grip of and chew. She would really like to try something like JWB, but she's waiting until after his final op.
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Thats great; my dog prefers small kibble even though she's 16kg and the size of a small greyhound haha
The thing i like about JWB is that the kibble is already pretty small but this will definately suit breeds like Yorkies, CKCSpaniels and Chihuahua's. I always thought it was strange they never had smallbite though
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2011, 11:37 AM
I find the smaller the kibble the less likely Poppy (CKCS) is to crunch it She's currently on Royal Canin Satiety Support and doing well.

My brother's CKCS is on JWB, and he is going to try this new small breed version and see how he gets on.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3