Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
It was a global recession. Each country dealt with it differently, but basically you can either spend your way out of it to lessen the impact and make cuts as and when things start to stabilise, or you can let it ride which would have had a far wider impact than we have seen.

I do agree that the banks should have been taken in hand, but, to be honest, I doubt strongly that the coalition would have seen the writing on the wall any sooner.

Fuel prices impact on every single member of society - not just those with cars. Food prices, in fact just about all prices are bound to rise when fuel prices increase. What I see so far of this Government's policies is a greater impact on those least able to afford it which is, in my opinion, unforgivable.
Two words---gold reserves!

Gordon Brown got rid----we could have got out of this hole if we still had them. Well done him for keeping Blair popular---it is a shame our kids now have to suffer for it.

rune
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

14-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
it is a shame our kids now have to suffer for it.
rune
Not just the children of today, but most likely their children as well, the debt the UK has today is incredible, it will take a very long time, twenty or maybe thirty years to get back to 'normal' levels of debt. During that time we will be paying interest on the loans, I don't have time to check it but £70 million a day has been mentioned
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-05-2011, 09:02 PM
and then we squander 65 mil to schools in pakistan!!!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by angied View Post
and then we squander 65 mil to schools in pakistan!!!

Squander? How so?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Two words---gold reserves!

Gordon Brown got rid----we could have got out of this hole if we still had them. Well done him for keeping Blair popular---it is a shame our kids now have to suffer for it.

rune
unfortunately, each new generation pays for the last. It's the way it works now and the way it has always worked. Money we paid into state pensions went to pay for our parents and grandparents. The first and second World Wars were paid for by subsequent generation as has been each major recession.

It's not unique to Britain, it happens throughout the World.

Not saying it's right, but just the way things happen.

If we're looking back to lay blame, then perhaps a look at the annihilation of our manufacturing industry would be a good place to start. Had we still had a strong manufacturing base, money would be continually generated on an ongoing basis. Perhaps the decision to generate our electricity on very limited supplies of oil and gas that were the bounty of the North sea could also be looked at instead of continuing to use the ample supplies of coal that are still available to us, but would now cost so much that economic viability makes it fairly impractical.

Perhaps looking not so far back to the Forgemasters fiasco where our new coalition would rather pay them compensation for backing out of a promised loan (that would have been repaid and would have put us in a strong position on new industry) rather than invest that money in the short term for the longer term gains.

So many cock-ups by so many Governments
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-06-2011, 08:22 PM
When I first got my car 4 years ago, it cost me £32 to fill it, now I'm paying £47 for 3/4 of a tank. Last week I put a tenner in because that's all I could afford and the needle didn't even move!!
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5