View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-04-2011, 09:41 PM
I used to work somewhere that had an office dog (belonged to the Mrs Boss) - she had it trained to sleep on her feet all day and keep them warm, and he'd go out on collection jobs with all the blokes in the factory - and regularly would potter to the door to greet visitors - teddy dangling from his jaws... he was a right soppy one that one.
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2011, 07:16 AM
I used to work with someone who had a Bassett Hound, she'd bring her to work every day and she would sleep under the desk. Every now and then you'd feel something rub against your leg and you'd now it was the dog have a walk round to stretch her legs. Nobody in the office minded because she wasn't a nuisance.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
LOL!!

Funny about the German Shepherd in the lift thing. There is a bloke near me with five of them (GSD's), all rescues, and I'm apparently one of the only people to ever stop and talk to him. Most people either run, scream, mutter under their breath comments while moving away or (according to him!) call the police. All because he has 5 GSD's, all of which are under perfect control. People are strange.
I have always previously had this reaction. (with my GSDs!)
Unfortunately it doesn`t work with blonde-faced fluffy ones. I am frequently having to fend off people who want to fuss Daisy (she loathes approaches from strangers).
It seems that the caution with GSDs are limited to the short-coated black and tan ones.
Has anyone else found this?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 08:07 AM
Well mine is a sable..............
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 08:15 AM
My dogs or at least one.. go everywhere - if I can persuade the OH, it's good to get them in different environments, different smells, although Louie is banned from going anywhere with birds until he grows up a bit..

When we went on holiday earlier this month - we took the dogs round Skeggy Market - it's busy (not that busy at the time though - not season yet) there are children, dogs, food, rides and shops, Sadie is fantastic, Louie is getting there and Benjie (well other dogs cause a problem) but it has everything they could ever encounter so it's great for them...in off season, I wouldn't take a dog when it was the season - you can't move..
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 08:20 AM
Hmmm, apart from the Rough (who would have a coronary) the other two have been to most of the parks around here, all the nearest towns, on trains, buses and London Victoria!

I admit, we havent done as much since I had Alex ( Even I cannot manage a dog, a baby and a pram up and down steps! )

They have also all been to various relatives houses, stayed in hotels, and the girls have been to the Isle of Wight
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Ours go almost everywhere.
Horses, any nature centre, parks, fields, licky hills etc etc.
They have been to Birmingham city centre a few times....but they are not bothered about bussle and hussle, they come on buses and trains and in the car.
They go to both my sons houses...redditch and stourbridge, and go on every holiday we have............... so they don;t get out much

I'm intrigued!! What on earth is a "licky hill"?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I have always previously had this reaction. (with my GSDs!)
Unfortunately it doesn`t work with blonde-faced fluffy ones. I am frequently having to fend off people who want to fuss Daisy (she loathes approaches from strangers).
It seems that the caution with GSDs are limited to the short-coated black and tan ones.
Has anyone else found this?
Yes, I think that fluffy longcoat puts them in the "give me a fuss" league, especially old Georgie, everybody wants to stop and give him a fuss, but then he likes all that, whereas Zena can take it or leave it, and she's far too fidgety for them to fuss her for long, so they just stand and admire and she much prefers that! I have to say, you can put me into that category too about the short coated black and tans, they just don't look so approachable do they, especially the big males and I really don't know why that is with me, being so used to these dogs, but give me a longcoat anyday.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Well mine is a sable..............
must be you then.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 05:56 PM
I'd love to take Cain more places than I can, but because of his issues, it's often more than he can handle. I can't drive so originally when I got him i managed to take him on public transport which was mostly incident free but London buses are sooooo crowded that I found it too stressful. Now my OH has got a car so we drive him most places but he does still go on the train every fortnight to go to training classes. We've sat in a few pub gardens with him but he doesn't settle down well.

He goes on walks and a variety of training classes. I'm currently on holiday with him. But generally I only take him if there's something in the trip for his benefit. I can't really just take him to the pub or round family/friends homes etc. It's just too stressful for us both. I'd like to be able to take him more places though
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >