Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2007, 06:38 PM

Advice please

As i am taking on a young border collie i am tying to thinking of the best way to introduce her to my 3. Please could anybody share their storys with me, just so that i can plan for a less stressful situation for her & my other 3.
Any advice grateful. i have a crate so i think this may help
Thanks
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Hi Jules congratulations on your new dog not sure what sex your other three dogs are but keep an eye on any bitches. The general rules of introduction and 'harmony' apply here,so...

..Introduce the dogs on a neutral ground,
..arange to leave the other dogs outside and take the new dog in the house first and give her a chance to look around (and spread her scent) before the other dogs enter,
..when you bring the other dogs in ignore them all ,no word no contact but keep a discrete watchful eye for problems and intervene only if you think things may get out of hand,
..remove toys or objects that could cause a squabble,
.. separate the dogs when feeding,
..don't single out one dog for attention in front of the others,
..the more you can take them out together to play the better, outside there are plenty of distractions and the dogs are not in a confined space, it gives them chance to get to know each other and form a group in more neutral surroundings .
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2007, 11:13 AM
I do the opposite and just dump them in together and see what happens, haven't had a problem yet! I suppose it's a question of you know how your dogs would react and deal with it accordingly.
Becky