Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Slajin773
New Member!
Male 

09-12-2017, 01:45 PM

Resource guarding and aggression

Hello my name is Sam I have a 8 month pit and he is the sweetest little thing ever. I had purchased him of of Craigslist when he was about 5-6 weeks. I am first time dog owner and love him very much and try to take care of him best I can. Never really had any trouble with him up until recently he started resource guarding to certain toys, he was sleeping and started growling at me a couple times as I approached. Even more recently he bit my brother as my brother approached him as the dog was laying on the couch with my dad. This dog has never been abused since getting him he had so much love growing up there's a household of 7 so he has a lot of love. I don't wanna give this dog up. I was thinking a shock collar not sure, he stiffens up and gets really aggressive he also starts shaking in place when he's resource guarding or getting aggressive I can see him trying to fight off but he can't and I don't know what to do please help....
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-12-2017, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by Slajin773 View Post
Hello my name is Sam I have a 8 month pit and he is the sweetest little thing ever. I had purchased him of of Craigslist when he was about 5-6 weeks. I am first time dog owner and love him very much and try to take care of him best I can. Never really had any trouble with him up until recently he started resource guarding to certain toys, he was sleeping and started growling at me a couple times as I approached. Even more recently he bit my brother as my brother approached him as the dog was laying on the couch with my dad. This dog has never been abused since getting him he had so much love growing up there's a household of 7 so he has a lot of love. I don't wanna give this dog up. I was thinking a shock collar not sure, he stiffens up and gets really aggressive he also starts shaking in place when he's resource guarding or getting aggressive I can see him trying to fight off but he can't and I don't know what to do please help....
This is a UK forum and ownership of that breed is banned here So you are probably to not going to get much direct experience of the breed from this side of the pond.

You say "he is the sweetest little thing ever". I wouldn't consider a dog that bites other members of my family as "sweet" for less "the sweetest".

I have only two suggestions. Get a behaviourist in to see if the problem can be fixed. Or bite the bullet and give the dog up if it can't.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2017, 09:14 AM
A classic case of the little chap having been set no rules or boundaries. You obviously love him, but loving a dog is not enough - he HAS to learn the rules of living in a "pack" - your human pack. You cannot allow this dog to growl and bite people - it is totally unacceptable and as Bosoeker has recommended, you need to get help before this little chap grows into a great big chap and really does some serious damage.

Sorry to be harsh but you really do need to take immediate action ... best of luck!
Slajin773
New Member!
Male 

12-12-2017, 12:49 AM
Gnasher tbanks for your helpful advice your absolutely right no boundaries were set.besoeker your advice was absolutely useless, i have no idea why your so mad that I posted on here it is a dog forum and who cares if it's in the U.K. Dogs are dogs was just trying to get help. I'm sure your miserable in life and don't have much to your name thanks again for your useless no good for nothing waste of time and energy comment.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2017, 08:47 AM
I cannot see what Besoeker said that was so awful! It is quite reasonable to say that pits are banned in the UK and so no-one on this site will likely have had experience of them. The advice given about consulting a behaviourist is excellent advice - as you yourself now state, no rules or boundaries have been set, so it is quite likely that you will be incapable of sorting this little chap out yourself before it is too late. I fail to see how you can say that Besoeker' advice was therefore useless!

That said, now we know that this little guy has had no boundaries and rules set, are you going to be capable of stepping up to the mark and getting this sorted? To quote Shakespeare, you will need to be bloody, bold and resolute ... without physical retribution of course ... If I were you, I think I would start off with the resource guarding ... food is an excellent way to teach a young dog manners, respect and knowing who runs the show. I have taught many dogs young and old to "Trust" or "Wait" for a particularly attractive morsel of food. Have the dog sitting at your feet; place a piece of something extremely attractive on the floor at the same time as telling the dog to Wait (or Trust) ... you can use whatever word you want, but it must be monosyllabic and assertive ... as you place the food down, cover it with your hand so that he cannot get at it; doubtless as he has no boundaries, he will be desperately trying to get at the food, and not waiting at all!! He may even bite at your hand; you must not let him have the food, but keep repeating your chosen command. If he is being physically aggressive with you, a sharp utterance of "Oi!" or "Ah-ah" with a raised finger in an assertive way should make him back off. You can block him with your whole hand and gently but firmly nudge him on the shoulder or chest, so that you are making it perfectly clear that YOU own the space around the food and in particular the food itself! Just keep repeating this until he is sitting calmly when you have removed your hand. Once he is calm and respectful, let him have the food by whatever action you want to use - I usually say "Paid for" or Good Dog, indicating with my body by stepping back and pointing at the food so it is quite apparent even to the most dozy of dogs that you are allowing him to have the titbit! I taught my best friend's Dachsund this in less than 5 minutes, it is body language that every single dog will understand. Once you have mastered this with your pit, he will then be starting to realise that perhaps you are not such a pushover as he thought and as a consequence he will have much more respect for you, and will be inquisitive to know what's coming next!

Hope this helps - if he really is a little sh*t and bites hard enough to really hurt or draw blood even, then you might want to wear some form of protection like a thick glove, but bare hand is really the best way.
Bulldogs4Life
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-12-2017, 04:32 PM
Doesn't matter of its UK based, there are worldwide members including those who own Pits like myself, but I know of others here too. It also doesn't matter if one has experience specifically with Pits, since advise for resource guarding is generally the same across breeds.

Anyway to the original post. Yes he sounds like the sweetest little thing! REASON why I don't trust most owners judgement of good temperament, sweet, just the best dog.

Let's see poorly bred so called Pit Bull, purchased too young exhibiting behavioral problem. One typically never found in Pits at that.
Start NILF to set some boundaries, work on trust and exchange of higher value items. Contact a behaviorist immediately and schedule a vet appointment as well. If the issue isn't resolved rather than passing a potentially dangerous dog off on some one else please have him humanely euthanized!!!
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-12-2017, 06:14 PM
Gnasher tbanks for your helpful advice your absolutely right no boundaries were set.besoeker your advice was absolutely useless, i have no idea why your so mad that I posted on here it is a dog forum and who cares if it's in the U.K. Dogs are dogs was just trying to get help. I'm sure your miserable in life and don't have much to your name thanks again for your useless no good for nothing waste of time and energy comment.
Well, if that unloading made you feel better I have done at least one good thing for you.

But your "expert" evaluation of me is WAY off the mark and totally uncalled for.
I have a dog, the current one is a bit over three, weighs in at about 80 pounds, and an absolute gem.

My furry barometer?

He doesn't bark, bite or growl. He is an absolute gentleman. We can drive a thousand mile (with pee breaks of course) and he is so relaxed you wouldn't know he was reposed on the back seat.

So, when I saw you calling a dog that bites "the sweetest thing" you might understand why I would disagree with that.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-12-2017, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
A classic case of the little chap having been set no rules or boundaries. You obviously love him, but loving a dog is not enough - he HAS to learn the rules of living in a "pack" - your human pack. You cannot allow this dog to growl and bite people - it is totally unacceptable and as Bosoeker has recommended, you need to get help before this little chap grows into a great big chap and really does some serious damage.

Sorry to be harsh but you really do need to take immediate action ... best of luck!
Thank you kindly.You summed it up perfectly.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-12-2017, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Bulldogs4Life View Post
Doesn't matter of its UK based,
Rather misses my point.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2017, 10:30 PM
Gorgeous lovely long-legged dog Besoeker!! x