Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ndidi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2013, 11:38 AM

Good supplements for stiff joints?

HI
I have recently noticed that Ellen is getting a bit stiff. So I was wondeirng what supplement would be good to help with her joints. She is a golden Retriever and is 8years old. She still run around like a loony with Hovis but is just begnining to get slightly stif.
I would like to see if there anything I can add to her food that will help her out and keep her joint moving a bit better. So that she can keep pain free and happy for as long as possible. Although I am sure she sin't in any pain at the moment as I would take her to the vets if she was. She just seem like she might be a bit stiff.

Also her coat is quite flaky and she seem to be itchy as it all moult out very quickly. It seem to come out in handfuls and always has. She usually look like a short haired dogs when she is done moulting until the new coat grows in.
It so if there is any supplement that help with coat condition and itching then I would be interested in them as well.

I will ask the vet when she is next in as these are only very mild problem and I would rather not give her drugs if possible at such an early stage I just like to keep onto of things which is why I am looking for supplements.

If you could post any ideas and how much to give her I wouldbe very grateful? She weighs between 25-26Kg

Also if you could post links to where to buy them that would also be very helpful.

Thanks for your help

Ndidi
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2013, 11:54 AM
We use easeflex chews 2 a day work very well for Mollie, you can get them on line various places or from your vet. Prices vary from place to place so we buy them from where ever we can get them cheapest at the time.
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-04-2013, 12:58 PM
Hi,i have a 3 year old boxer bitch that has very bad spondylosis of the spine and hip dysplasia which was bad enough to need operating on.Before she had the operation i used "cortaflex HA".If you type it in on google you find lots of information on it and i have found it to be the best joint supplement around.I have also used it on horses with some very good results.It is a combination of glucosamin,chondrotin and hylaronic acid.Good luck with your dog,i hope you find something to help.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2013, 12:59 PM
I asked my dogs' chiropractor what she would recommend and she immediately said Yumove, having seen remarkable results in a very arthritic labrador. My four are all on it now for preventative purposes. You can get it on line direct from Lintbells or various other animal product sites.

I used to give one of mine Synoquin after he injured a toe ligament years ago and the vet said it would become arthritis - it never did.
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2013, 06:11 PM
I recommend yumove. It has given arthritic terrier a new lease of life. I cant recommend them or the company enough. They do a product called yumega as well which is fab for coats.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2013, 11:54 PM
Couldn't recommend this more highly. From limping and being stiff and not able to get into the car, our Boxer has got sprite,y again. She can't take conventional mess due to Renal Failure.

http://www.gwfnutrition.co.uk/prod_c...taid/index.htm
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-04-2013, 11:07 AM
I give Pereg one x Glucosamine and Chondroitin Complex with MSM capsule, and one x Green Lipped Mussel extract capsule each day. This is as a preventative, not because she has joint problems.
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-04-2013, 06:22 AM
I give them superflex 3 and my old girl has come on in leaps and bounds. it is full of condroitin, glucosamine and MSM.. I get it from eBay
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2013, 11:53 AM
I have no experience with above mentioned meds, but, especially with an older dog, you can't go wrong with good nutrition. Omega 3 oils are very supportive, even if they don't directly address the pain, so I would recommend some tinned sardines or pilchards (in brine or tomato sauce) as often as your dog's diet will allow such a thing. It's cheap as muck, very nutritious, easily digestible even for a compromised digestive system, and readily available.

You will have to put up with the fish breath, though...
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Strangechilde View Post
I have no experience with above mentioned meds, but, especially with an older dog, you can't go wrong with good nutrition. Omega 3 oils are very supportive, even if they don't directly address the pain, so I would recommend some tinned sardines or pilchards (in brine or tomato sauce) as often as your dog's diet will allow such a thing. It's cheap as muck, very nutritious, easily digestible even for a compromised digestive system, and readily available.

You will have to put up with the fish breath, though...
Tomatoes are part of the nightshade family and not recommended for those with joint problems.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >