Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-07-2011, 05:23 PM

Turkey necks

I now have about 4 kilos of fresh turkey necks that my neighbour got for me. They have been cut in chunks ~8-10cm [3-4 inches] long, and very thick, with a lot of meat on them [no fat and no skin].

Are turkey necks OK to give Pereg or is the bone too hard/splintery/not good?

She is very good at crunch crunch crunching but I vaguely remember someone somewhere saying that the bones in turkey necks are bad for a dog.

Have I gotten the wrong end of the story yet again?

Oh yes - my neighbour also got a load of fresh chicken and turkey hearts, supposedly for Pereg but I think I am going to nick some for myself!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2011, 05:39 PM
I buy 2k bags of frozen poultry necks for the dogs and feed them regularly.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Isnt it the bones in a turkey leg might not be ok? Having said that I feed turkey legs.

Give them to her, turkey necks should be fine.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Should not be any problem for MOST dogs however, be aware that a turkey neck COULD cause a problem if the size and shape matches that of the gullet of your dog!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2011, 06:40 PM
My guys used to get full size turkey necks(used to feed them frozen)....my god did they look rude
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

28-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Crunch crunch crunch, chomble chomble chomple.

Sigh of absolute pleasure.

That was Pereg's reaction!

I was just a bit concerned as I thought someone had said that turkey necks were dangerous but as Pereg does not try to swallow anything whole and as she seems to really enjoy chombling the bones, I guess I should go by that. I mean it is OK for you guys with big dogs, but Pereg is not that big, is she.

[Dare not tell my Vet about the necks though - he is still rather anti bones ]

I think that Pereg and I are finally getting to the best diet for her, one which satiates her without putting on weight, and she has definitely lost some as she has her "waist" back again. I have no way of checking her weight and she will not be weighed again until I take her back for the 6 month blood workup in October, but she has definitely lost that tubby look she had.
GoldenShadow1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-07-2011, 07:58 PM
He's not yet had one but I've got turkey necks for Rupes, I've not heard anything about not giving them...Glad he seems to like them, hope Roo does too!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

29-07-2011, 08:23 PM
To be honest I took two of the two very thick chunks from the bag before open freezing them, stuck them in my baby slow cooker with a bit of water and cooked them overnight on the low setting.

This morning there was enough meat for four meals for myself

[But I will not tell Pereg that!]
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Mouse, My 8.5 lb Dachshund has turkey necks every Christmas and thanksgiving. She gets 1/2 one day, and the other half a few days later... it takes her awhile, but she LOVES them! and she's never had a problem.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-07-2011, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Are turkey necks OK to give Pereg or is the bone too hard/splintery/not good?
She is very good at crunch crunch crunching but I vaguely remember someone somewhere saying that the bones in turkey necks are bad for a dog.
Malka, all I can tell you is that we've been feeding our two with turkey necks (and chicken and duck) for nearly eight years with no harmful effects and they love them.

OH always cooks them 'cos she's a bit paranoid about bacteria and stuff after reading a bit about cooked bones I finally persuaded her to only lightly cook them.

Apparently if you over cook them the bones dry out and that can, possibly, in a few cases, cause problems

Ours are Newfoundlands and big, they just crunch them up and down they go, if Pereg is good at crunching I really doubt that turkey necks will do her any harm, but that is just my opinion based on eight years of feeding them to our two monsters.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >