Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 05:31 PM

The Grand National

Will anyone be having a little bet on the Grand National tomorrow?

I don't know much about horse racing but ever since we were kids Dad always let us pick a horse and he'd put a pound on it for us so we always have a bet every year now except Dad doesn't pay for it anymore!!

I've picked my horses for this year and would be interested to see who others are going for.

I'm going for Grand Slam Hero and Quinz. Last year my horse won (just a shame the jockey fell off it earlier in the race!!)
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Sorry...this pretty much sums up my opinion on it.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011...national-shame
It says:
As we approach racing's national day of shame there is one thing you can bet on, and that is that horses will definitely suffer, if not die, during the Grand National (Walsh siblings in 40-runner Aintree field, Sport, 5 April). The annual race, which is one of the key events on the racing calendar, has seen the deaths of countless horses over the years as they compete over one of the most gruelling and demanding courses in racing history.

It is high time changes were implemented to cut the odds on the number of deaths and to make the Grand National a safer, less cruel event. Polling by the League Against Cruel Sports has shown that 65% of people in Britain think the course should be changed to lessen the risk. We support the league's campaign to boycott the National until improvements to the course are made. We will not be putting a penny on the race and hope the public will join us in forfeiting what may seem like a harmless flutter, or an innocent office sweepstake, in favour of a safer, improved Grand National.

Brian May, Alesha Dixon, Richard Adams, Gemma Atkinson, Emma Milne, Sue Cook, Bill Oddie, Mark Radcliffe
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Will anyone be having a little bet on the Grand National tomorrow?

I don't know much about horse racing but ever since we were kids Dad always let us pick a horse and he'd put a pound on it for us so we always have a bet every year now except Dad doesn't pay for it anymore!!

I've picked my horses for this year and would be interested to see who others are going for.

I'm going for Grand Slam Hero and Quinz. Last year my horse won (just a shame the jockey fell off it earlier in the race!!)
Usually have a wee bet, not sure about tomorrow. Im going for "Silver by Nature" and "Westend Rocker."
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 05:44 PM
I don't put any money on because I hate going in the Bookies.
But I have picked out Silver by Nature, Becauseicouldn't see and What a Friend.
So there are 3 horses that it would be as well to avoid
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Usually have a wee bet, not sure about tomorrow. Im going for "Silver by Nature" and "Westend Rocker."
I looked at Silver by Nature and was tempted. Might point that one out to OH as he's not selected his yet.

Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
I don't put any money on because I hate going in the Bookies.
But I have picked out Silver by Nature, Becauseicouldn't see and What a Friend.
So there are 3 horses that it would be as well to avoid
What A Friend is owned by Alex Ferguson I think, I saw one of his horses run at Newton Abbot and it won. He apparently has some very good racehorses.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 06:01 PM
One horse has died already this year:
http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/NEWS/news_horse//2457//
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post

What A Friend is owned by Alex Ferguson I think, I saw one of his horses run at Newton Abbot and it won. He apparently has some very good racehorses.
Ok that's one off my list then. I've seen enough of his mouth and chewing gum to last me a life time
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Ooh, I'm backing Silver by Nature! I usually have 3, as at least one usually gives up at the first! Others may be Golden Kite, and Tidal Bay. I tend to like long odds!

Oh, and you don't need to go to the bookies there days Nippy
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 06:05 PM
This doesn't make for nice reading:
http://www.horsedeathwatch.com/
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
One horse has died already this year:
http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/NEWS/news_horse//2457//
I do agree that is incredibly sad how many horses have lost their lives over the years at aintree as the death of any animal is always sad but I do think the Grand National is part of British sporting heritage and should remain on the sporting calendar. However maybe more could be done to make it safer for both the horses and the jockey's.
Page 1 of 52 1 2 3 4 11 51 > Last »