View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 06:48 PM
I do eat meat, was once veggie for about 3 years as a teenager, however I was lured back by the bacon sandwich - which is quite surreal really as Pigs are probably my favourite animal !! eekk

Have to say though am a complete hypocrite as if I actually had to kill and skin my own meat I KNOW i couldnt do it, I would be vegetarian then. However because I can go into the butcher or supermarket and buy it I dont have to think about it.

I do try and buy free range where i can ( always buy free range eggs etc ) but sometimes the meat is so expensive that I just cant afford it some months.

we are in the city but do have a local butcher but I have no idea if his meat is any happier than supermarket stuff. I never buy steaks etc from supermarket, always go to butchers for them, I also try and buy whole chickens from an organic place not too far away.

We eat mince and the odd steak, but other than that most of what we eat is chicken or pork.

I do wish animals were treated better and it always upsets me when i see them on the trucks on the way to the slaughterhouse, but it hasnt made me go back to being veggie, my hubby would never be veggie though as is a meat on plate or isnt a meal kind of bloke.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Why do I like meat...because it tastes good!

My sister is a veggie and I have tried various Quorn products. They all tasted like cardboard. Give me the real deal any day. Nothing like a huge burger, steak, rack of ribs, bacon sarnie...om nom nom!
you must be eating the packaging then!!!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
I eat meat because it just tastes so damn good! A meal isn't a meal without meat in my opinion.

We also try to buy most of our meat from the local butchers and they generally do the same offers as the supermarket (i.e 3 packs for £10).

I completely understand why people are veggie and respect that not everyone likes to eat meat but I guess you have to think that if they hadn't of starting eating meat all those years ago then we might not even be here today.
ABSOLUTELY!! Lamb, lovely Lamb and mint sauce, couldnt live without it, not keen on fish, but love Prawns and stuff like that.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
ABSOLUTELY!! Lamb, lovely Lamb and mint sauce, couldnt live without it, not keen on fish, but love Prawns and stuff like that.
Ohhh yeah, lamb is by far the best! I never really used to eat red meat but now i can't get enough of lamb!

I also absolutely love fish/seafood of any kind! We went on holiday to Croatia one year and the fish was so good and fresh that i ate seafood every day!
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2010, 07:08 PM
Been a Vegan since I was 15 and never looked back ...wouldn't dream of ever eating meat or animal products again
Azz
Administrator
Male 

31-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by lisa0307 View Post
Been a Vegan since I was 15 and never looked back ...wouldn't dream of ever eating meat or animal products again
Good stuff! I am 100% sure I want to go Vegan - just have to make sure I won't get ill tho as I already have a restrictive diet.

Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Yes, I do take your point about the fish and it is a worry. The whole food industry is a worry to me; it seems nothing is safe from man's meddling and contamination. I also have concerns about GMO foods, cross crop-contamination, pesticides, etc. etc. We were told to peel carrots because of the pesticides but in doing so, we take away the carotene, other antioxidants and minerals, which are also just under the skin.

Even our water quality worries me.

Where antibiotics, free-range, organic, etc. are concerned with poultry, I can only go on trust in that what the butcher states about the quality of his food is true.
Yeah completely agree - my initial reasons for looking into this was purely selfish, all the crap in our foods and the way animals are farmed.. I didn't want that in my body. But the more I looked into it the more it has also become about what the poor animals have to endure. I was calling myself an animal lover yet supporting all that cruelty by eating meat!!!

I thoroughly recommend the Skinny Bitch book - I am reading the men's version and haven't been able to put it down!
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Also have a look at Animal Aids website http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/AA/HOME/
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2010, 07:36 PM
For Vegan recipes take at look at these sites

www.parsleysoup.co.uk

www.damefandango.com

www.veganvillage.co.uk/recipes.htm

www.myveganplanet.com
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 07:48 PM
We eat meat because:

1) It tastes fab! How can you not like a nice rare peppered steak!

2) Anaemia and Intolerance to iron tablets is common in our family

3) My father was a butcher so we were raised visiting the abbatior to get meat and then going home and skinning it and cutting it and bagging it! (my dad tried to make light of it once using th back legs of a lamb and making it walk across the table to aerosmiths - Walk this way - tasteless i know but i was 4!)

4) When i was on a higher income all meat was bought from the local farmers market and butchers who were renowned in our city for good ethical meat.

5) I have no problem with killing an animal to eat - I would be hesitant with larger animals in case i messed it up and caused suffereing but oncec i knew properly how to do it - i would

6) Whilst doing biopsychology and neuroscience - we read research that showed our brain developed massively due to the change in diet that occured when humans ate meat - this was due to the fats and protien in the meat...this expanded our brains and led to a higher intelligence in humans.
http://darwinstable.wordpress.com/20...for-the-brain/

Alex
xxx
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Well, good for you. If you feel strongly enough about this then you go for it. I'm sure you already know that you may meet people who take great pleasure in trying to challenge your stance ("Ah, but do you wear leather?" "Do you take medicine tested on animals?" "Do you feed meat to your dog?" etc. etc.) You just have to do your best and what is right for you.

Thanks for the book recommendation! Did you ever read Fast Food Nation? It's a few years ago now:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fast-Food-Na...4967859&sr=8-1

http://www.mcspotlight.org/media/books/schlosser.html
http://www.mcspotlight.org/media/pre...an0704011.html
Page 7 of 25 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »